Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 27th, 2010 12:00

DHCP messed up on my Studio 1737

So my Studio 1737 recently started slowing to a crawl when waking up or rebooting. It pretty much becomes non-functional for about 20 minutes. The (dual core) CPU is only running at about 20%, but everything is pretty much frozen. After much troubleshooting, I found that if I disable the DHCP service and reboot, the problem goes away, but (of course) I can't get online without DHCP. I have 2 other computers on my home LAN which are working fine, so I know it's not my router or my network. I'm running 64 bit Win7. I can't seem to find any way to 'update' or 'reinstall' my DHCP. I'm afraid mine might have become corrupted somehow.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 27th, 2010 13:00

DHCP does not get corrupted. Do you even know what it is and how it works???

You have probably been infected with malware which hogs your system the second you are online.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 27th, 2010 14:00

Wow, that was helpful.

Do you think I could have tracked it down to the DHCP service without knowing what it is?

Do you think I wouldn't try a virus/malware scan first?

Or did you just miss the part where I said my CPU utilization was at 20%?

Since you know it all, there is not much you can learn here, is there?

September 27th, 2010 14:00

Wow, that was helpful.

Do you think I could have tracked it down to the DHCP service without knowing what it is?

Do you think I wouldn't try a virus/malware scan first?

Or did you just miss the part where I said my CPU utilization was at 20%?

67 Posts

September 28th, 2010 23:00

You don't say what operating system you're running.

Linux dhcp client software is easily replaced by a different version.

Windows' dhcp software is not. Unless the system has an old restore point that you can revert to, you'll most likely have to do a wipe and reinstall. This would take care of any malware infections while you're at it.

You might try using a fixed network config instead of dhcp.

Note that some kinds of malware (root kits) can hide on a running system. You have to boot the scanner from an external CD (like malwarebytes) to find them. Getting rid of them reliably takes a wipe and reinstall.

September 29th, 2010 09:00

I'm running Win7 64 bit. Thanks for the helpful response.

67 Posts

September 29th, 2010 10:00

You're welcome.

I have a vague recollection of issues related to IPv6 and dhcp. You might want to consider disabling all of the network support features other than ipv4 to see if that helps. Of course, your computer may be using some of them to interact with the other systems on your local network, but this would just be for testing and you could turn the necessary ones on again afterward.

I'm assuming you know how to get to the device properties for the network adapter (which is where ipv6 support is enabled/disabled), since you were writing about dhcp features. Oh, also make sure you've disabled all of the network adapters that you aren't actually using.

116 Posts

September 29th, 2010 13:00

It's interesting you mention IPv6. On my home network one of the tune-up utilities (either Uniblue or TuneUp 2010 - can't remember which) suggested I disable the protocol to boost network performance. It didn't go into too much detail about why it thinks so but it did appear to provide some marginal boost. Nothing on the scale OP describes though.

September 30th, 2010 21:00

FINALLY got this fixed! 

Had to modify the registry to repair DHCP.

Instructions are here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4966595_repair-dhcp-windows.html

Thanks.

116 Posts

October 1st, 2010 02:00

Good that you fixed it and the link is interesting too.

In the meantime I also refreshed my memory so, in case you'll need that too, the problem I saw in that area was with Teredo Tunnelling Pseudo-Protocol been disabled. This is used to tunnel IPv6 through services (NAT) that don't support it by encapsulating it inside IPv4 UDP datagrams. Best step-by-step instrictions I could find are here:

http://forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/892007.htm

It's a bit old (Vista) but works fine under W7 too.

Hope that helps.

No Events found!