Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

TJ

3 Posts

February 8th, 2008 03:00

DST Short Status Test - Error 1000-0141 - No Drive Detected (and it's not the hard drive)

I have a dell Insperon B120 that stopped working and after testing came back with the DST Short Status Test - Error 1000-0141 - No Drive Detected.

I have taken the hard drive out and tested it in an external case and it worked.
I also placed it in another laptop and the laptop was able to see it, although it did not start up because of different drivers. 
I also tried two other laptop hard drives and they were not dectected.

I also tried...
NOTICE: ***Safety precaution*** You have to turn off the computer first, unplug the ac adapter(charger) from the back of the system and take out the battery then press the power button to make sure there is no static left in your computer. *** I wouldnt want you to get electricuted so please do this first***

PS: make sure that this system is not on a docking station and it has no periferals connected to it while doing this.

STEP 1:

- take out the optical drive (DVD/CD ROM drive)
- try reseating the hard drive. (take it out and put it back in and make sure its on there tight)
- plug the ac adapter and try to turn on the system with out the battery

hopefully your computer see's the Hard drive now.
if that happens then do the ***Safety precaution*** again and put the optical drive (DVD/CD ROM)
if the hard drive is not detected again after putting in the optical drive then you have to replace the optical drive. That is if you really want or need to use the optical drive.

Now, if STEP 1: didnt work for you. Do this...

STEP 2:

- turn on the system WITH OUT the optical drive and battery
- while the system is booting up(Dell logo) keep tapping the F2 key
- you should now be in the BIOS
- make sure all your lock leds are on. if not then turn them on (caps lock/number lock/scroll lock)
- hold down your "Alt" key
- while holding down the alt key, press "E", "F", "B"
- hit the "Esc" key
- select save/exit

And this did not work.

I do not want to go out and buy a new hard drive and have that not be the fix as I have tried other drives and I do not believe this is the problem. I also don't have the money to call dell as my warranty has ended. Any real help would be great.

February 8th, 2008 04:00

NO THE HARD DRIVE IS NOT BAD. Thanks for not reading what I wrote. I tested 2 other WORKING hard drives in the laptop and it did not work. I also tested the hard drive in an external case and it WORKED. ITS NOT THE HARD DRIVE. If anyone else that can read would like to help I would be very grateful.

2.7K Posts

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_harddrive&thread.id=68398

Hi  

The hard drive is bad if you would have check a few of the other threads you would have seen this message and many others about the same error message !

Buy a new drive !

Good Luck!

Edit here is another link.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_harddrive&thread.id=68361

Message Edited by C3PO5 on 02-07-2008 10:11 PM

2.7K Posts

NO THE HARD DRIVE IS NOT BAD

Hay what ever you think is right and what ever floats your boat !

And i did read every word you wrote live and learn is what i say ! 

See Yea

February 8th, 2008 05:00

Then tell me this smart guy... why don't the other two hard drives work? They work perfectly fine in my other laptop and in the external case.

I did read all the forum links about this same problem before I posted my problem. Please stop trying to be the big smart guy and leave this problem for someone that can actually help.

2.7K Posts

February 8th, 2008 05:00

Look while your drive is still working as it will not last long put the drive back in the USB case and get all of

files off of it you want to save !

Then if you think i am still wrong read what's on the link below about the error message you posted !!

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=true&q=Error+1000-0141&phrase=&one_or_more=&without=&f=subject&f=body&f=attach&f=tags&page_size=10&author=&board_id=&index=public

See Yea

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 8th, 2008 09:00

If the drive is properly mounted with its connector, and multiple drives aren't detected, the mainboard is faulty.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 8th, 2008 12:00

Whoa, folks. No need for drama. We're all friends here.

The first reply to the OP was a bit harsh. Please take into consideration how frustrating this must be for The Juice to begin with, and the fact that he put a lot of effort into self troubleshooting and creating the post before submitting it. Inasmuch as you disagree with his initial diagnosis, I know there are far too many times when you wished the OP included that much detail.

Taking it to the level of calling C3PO5 "smart guy" etc, is an over-reaction. No need for any kind of name calling- even if it's as mild as that. It only creates hostility.

I know Jerry, and he's a good guy. I do not know you yet, The Juice, but I look forward to seeing you on the boards going forward. So, let's just all get along... Puhleeze.

Now, the issue at hand. I will expand upon ejn63's point. If you properly connect mulitple HDD's in the same system, and none are recognized, and you have reset factory defaults, you are likely looking at a problem with the HDD controller. That spells mobo.

How far out of warranty are you? If you add your service tag to your forum profile, or PM it to me, I will look it up.

About the mobo, you can probably replace it yourself for less money than an out of warranty repair from Dell. Here's the field service manual.  You could also reseat the interposer board. It's the little connecter/adapter thing that matches the IDE style pins to the notebook HDD controller. Just carefully and evenly pull it off and carefully and evenly put it back on. You might try pulling the CMOS battery as a last resort, and  give that HDD one more shot. While you're in there, have a look at the HDD connector on the mobo. If it's bent or damaged, save yourself some time and buy a new mobo. You can probably find one online somewhere, and definitely from Dell Spare Parts. Prices online outside of Dell will probably be lower.

**I'm also assuming when you swapped in other known good HDD's you made sure they were all IDE drives with interposer boards over the IDE pins.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 8th, 2008 14:00

LOL. Oh, trust me, I know there are bugs, but we are gathering them all and adding them to the bug list. You may want to send a PM to Gina with the link and the explanation. I am not really getting what you are saying in this particular case, but Gina will probably be able to understand it much better.

2.7K Posts

February 8th, 2008 14:00

Hi

I will apologize to the OP for the first reply it was a bit harsh as you say Bill D .

And at the same time i need to complain about the forum its self or the design of it

, it did make me look like a smart guy because i started out with normal words and the post came out like this !

Look while your drive is still working as it will not last long put the drive back in the USB case and get all of

{ {the files off of it you want to save !

Then if you think i am still wrong read what's on the link below about the error message you posted}} !!

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=true&q=Error+1000-0141&phrase=&one_or_more=&without=&f=subject&f=body&f=attach&f=tags&page_size=10&author=&board_id=&index=public

See Yea

{ {300)?300:this.scrollHeight); overflow: hidden;"> }} 

When i got to the point of this part {the files off of it , the bigger word were not me {typing them} the problem that has been on the forum caused this not me pure and simple !

Look at the message below where i say See Yea and tell my why it is there please !!

Thanks  

2.7K Posts

February 8th, 2008 16:00

Hi Bill B

I did send Gina a PM about this thread !

If you look at the last post i made to the OP you will see these big letters ,

files off of it you want to save !

Then if you think i am still wrong read what's on the link below about the error message you posted .

i did not

type them in that way i used small normal words but when the message was sent

it came out as big words witch made the OP think i was being a smart guy !

And this error  

300)?300:this.scrollHeight); overflow: hidden;">  

that is by

See Yea came from the DCF bugs or what ever it is that does the bigger fonts at times !

I hope

all of this get fixed before it Leeds to more problems in the future !

And i just got the PM from you and thanks for your reply .

See Yea around the forums

No Events found!