Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2012 11:00

Datasafe 2.0 Unable to select CD/DVD or USB to create Recovery Media

Hi i have a Dell M5040 when i launch Dell Datasafe 2.0 the section to create Recovery Media has both the USB and CD/DVD grayed out. How do I reset Datasafe in case there was a limit to create only 1 copy of the recovery cds (which are no where to be found)?

Thank you!

Kage

278 Posts

May 15th, 2012 16:00

This should work for you:

dl.dropbox.com/.../DataSafeLocalBackup_Basic.exe

It says Basic, but if you already have the premium version this should be stored within your Recovery partition and will be activated upon re-installation. When reinstalling what my technical support agent did was uninstall the "Dell DataSafe Local Support Software" program in Programs and Features only. The uninstaller will prompt to restart your system at some point, say no. He then simply ran the installer to reinstall Dell DataSafe Local, which also runs a configuration stage after which can reconfigure some important parts which hopefully will fix whatever issue you are having.

Before you do this however: You might want to confirm your Recovery partition is still in tact by testing out the Dell DataSafe Recovery Options via "Repair My Computer" in Windows 7. To do this after booting your system, after the BIOS screen tap F8 a few times to bring up a menu of options, select "Repair My Computer" wait for it to load and enter the administrator username and password when prompted. Then there should be an option for Dell DataSafe in the menu that appears, click on that and go through the menu's to view your available restore points, check to make sure your Factory Image restore point is available.

278 Posts

You can try reinstalling Dell DataSafe, I had to do this to restore the special BCD store that Dell uses for the recovery partition so Dell DataSafe would function correctly. I wasn't aware of a limit regarding the creation of recovery media.

8 Posts

Hmmm Where would I go to find a download of datasafe? I had an installer from another suggestion before, but it kept asking for a "registration key" when I installed it on a wiped partition with a clean install of win 7 ultimate.

8 Posts

May 15th, 2012 12:00

Actually the DELL Utility and the Recovery is still intact. I performed a factory restore so its back to Home Premium Win 7. I go through the initial setup and then launch Dell DataSafe 2.0 and select to Create Recovery Media but the two options are grayed out.

8 Posts

Oh my... Any moderators have a link for Dell DataSafe Local 2.0? Thank you very much for your help James!

278 Posts

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but have you wiped your hard drive? Do you no longer have the partition labelled "RECOVERY" on your system?

278 Posts

OK, then there may be hope yet. I recently experienced a similar issue where by most of the features of Dell DataSafe were grayed out and constantly got an error when starting the main program saying "The Recovery Partition is missing or corrupt?" Do you get any such error messages?

278 Posts

OK. I'm not sure how well the recovery partition and Dell DataSafe works after a partition move. Reinstalling DataSafe is certainly something to try. The problem is I don't think believe the setup file for Dell DataSafe Local Backup is publicly available. A technical support agent assisted me through remote desktop and went to a special URL to obtain the setup file. I don't know if any Dell Moderator/Staff member on the forum can link you to it at all.

8 Posts

I had a Recovery Parittion was missing when I orignially moved the parittion with Easus Parition Master. But then I moved it back and it's all working again.

278 Posts

May 15th, 2012 14:00

Good news. I managed to find the Dell Datasafe Local Backup installer from the Remote Desktop Session with technical support. I'm currently uploading it to DropBox so you can download it. I don't believe this breaks any rules as the Dell DataSafe installer seems to be a general extraction process and then becomes customised based on the system setup once it installs. i.e. no license key is attached to the setup installer. I'll update this post with the Dropbox link when its uploaded.

8 Posts

May 15th, 2012 15:00

Thank you so much, just got back from lunch. Hopefully a resintall reenables it...

8 Posts

May 15th, 2012 17:00

OMG... after 5 days of punching walls with my knuckles. Getting recovery media from dell directly that does nothing but install windows 7 and some drivers but does nothing to create the recovery partition, James2k you have solved my issues. Resinstalling datasafe has reenabled my ability to create recovery cds. I'm in your debt. Thank you so much! /bow

278 Posts

May 16th, 2012 00:00

No problem glad it worked for you! What seems to be the case with DataSafe is when you restore or move the partition around it becomes disattached to the recovery partition. As long as the recovery partition is in tact and restored to ir original partition layout usually the configuration stages the install performs can usually remedy the issue. Like I said I also had to reinstall because the special BCD Dell uses for the recovery partition was overwritten and cause DataSafe to believe the recovery partition was toast. A similar issue may have occured for you.

You've actually also answered a question I was wondering and that is can the recovery partition survive after a restore from a system image and it seems yes it can, so thank you for that! I will be also restoring my system from an image soon because the hard drive is being replaced in my XPS 15z.

Just a note for information purposes: The Recovery partition is a one time install from the factory, once its damaged or deleted (as in the data on the partition) it cannot be reinstalled or recovered through any recovery discs provided by Dell. I was told this by my technical support agent. The idea is as soon as you receive your system you should create your recovery media in such an event. In our cases, the recovery partition is still in tact, just needs re-configuring.

44 Posts

May 16th, 2012 02:00

It didn't go well and it has partitioned a 'Recovery F: Drive' on my computer. How do I get rid of it?

44 Posts

May 16th, 2012 02:00

Wow after more than two hours I get a message that says I don't have enough disk space. I'll try right-clicking it and see what are my options.

No Events found!