Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2017 07:00

Dell 7280 touchpad not working in Windows 7. Driver on website not compatible.

We started using a new model Dell 7280 from our global agreement. The touchpad doesn't work in Windows 7, only Windows 10 environment.

The Windows 7 driver from the Dell website just gives an error saying its not compatible when you run it.

I also did the KB that there is about it but installing this other driver as instructed doesn' twork.

Do you know if there is any fix for this?! We have loads of machines we need to get out!!

June 27th, 2017 12:00

After some more searching I found a solution.

www.dell.com/.../touchpad-not-working-on-latitude-xx80-with-skylake-processors-and-windows-7-installed

The Serial IO Driver needs to be installed before the Touchpad driver.  

For MDT installers that would mean setting up some bad driver applications in the state restore phase for your build process.  There are silent installer switches for dell driver packages.

532 Posts

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We request you to let us know if you are using dual boot on the system. If yes, unfortunately we do not support systems with dual boot configuration. If not, let us know if Windows 7 or Windows 10 is installed in the system. We’ll surely try to assist you accordingly.

Came with Windows 10 but we remove it and install Windows 7. Tried Dell Windows 7 and our MDT with the 7280 CAB file injected but still no luck.

No dual boot.

532 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thank you for the update. We request you to provide us the service tag/ express service code via private message, so that we can check for more details and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

We are having the same issue.  Uploaded the Windows 7 CAB file for the 7280 to MDT, no touchpad in PE or in WIndows itself.  Everything works fine on windows 10.  Am running a 7280 with Skylake processor (6th generation)

Tried installing the Serial IO driver, still no joy. Im wondering if the touchpad driver listed on the dell site is the wrong one?  Though the hardware ID is included in the package.xml file so it SHOULD install.

Service tag is:

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 09:00

I'm having the same issue too, I install the Serial I/O driver and after that the touchpad driver says not supported JFD3H2

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 16:00

Hi Cremlian,

Thank you for your message.

Check in device manager to see if the touchpad is getting detected or if there is a driver error.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

Click on my Dell username & private message the right service tag (7 character code) along with the registered name, email address & the bios version installed.

Note – Please do not share your system or personal details on a public forum.

June 23rd, 2017 02:00

Yeah good to hear other people have the same problem! Crazy that Dell have the wrong driver on their site!! Need a fix ASAP. I have hundreds of machines to build!

532 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 03:00

Thank you for sharing the details. We checked the Service Request and we see that the technical support team will contact you today or on Monday. We request you to kindly bear with us.

June 23rd, 2017 09:00

We ran into the same issue at our office.  I was able to find a solution.  I fired up one with a stock Win 7 pro and took a look at the driver software and version. Then found it on dell.com.  Here is the link to the appropriate Windows 7 Drivers:  www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

June 23rd, 2017 09:00

We ran into the same issue at our office.  I was able to find a solution.  I fired up one with a stock Win 7 pro and took a look at the driver software and version. Then found it on dell.com.  Here is the link to the appropriate Windows 7 Drivers:  www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

2 Posts

June 26th, 2017 11:00

This worked for me, Monstar_Fresh.  Thanks!

June 26th, 2017 11:00

This worked for me as well, but even adding those files to my deployment share doesnt  install them automatically.  I still have to manually install that driver pack after imaging.  anyone solved that issue yet?

June 27th, 2017 12:00

I have a new Latitude 7280 and I am trying to integrate in in our enterprise environment.  

Touchpad does not work in x86 versions of WinPE

Enterprise CAB and MDT don't seem to recognize the touchpad in Windows 7 Enterprise x86 or x64

Installing the driver from the link that Monster_fresh posted does not fix the issue for me.

The keyboard back light turns on when the touchpad is used, but there is no actual input making it to the OS.  System Tray icon for the touchpad doesn't show interaction either.

Talking with Dell Support on the phone the only work around that I have found is to download the Dell Command | Update tool and let that tool download and install all of the system drivers.  This is not a viable solution for building multiple machines in an enterprise environment. I am still waiting for an updated CAB file or updated drivers.  The tech I spoke to said he was going to escalate to the engineers.

That was earlier this week.

No Events found!