Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2012 13:00

Dell AC-DC Adapter issue

Greetings!

I have an issue that I have not seen addressed after searching the forum.  It concerns powering up of the AC-DC adapter that came with my Inspiron 1545 Laptop (now just shy of 3 years old).

part in question: Dell part # XK850; PA-21 Family; model DA65NS4-00; Output = 19.5 Volts, 3.34 Amps.

What’s going on: For the last few weeks I have experienced an intermittent power issue when I plug in the AC-DC Adapter -- the blue LED on the adapter 'brick' does not illuminate.  Sometimes just re-plugging the 3 foot long, grounded cord into the strip plug/wall socket will do the trick; sometimes trying it in a different wall socket works, sometimes re-connecting the cord to the adapter 'brick' does the job. 

Once I get the blue LED on the adapter 'brick' to illuminate, it works fine.  So far, I've had no issues with recharging the battery.  I have never dropped the adapter 'brick'; I am careful when storing the cords so as not to stress them (When storing the power cords, I loop them into gentle circles about 1 foot in diameter). 

Questions:   Do these transformers/adapters can wear out? Is this behavior a sign of impending doom for my adapter?

I've not seen this particular issue mentioned in the forum.  Any feedback would be a appreciated.

Thanks!

November 19th, 2012 13:00

The AC-DC power adapter brick proved to be the problem.

Starting with the day after the most recent post, when I plugged it into the wall socket, the adapter's LED light would not illuminate,

I replaced the adapter & have had no issues since.

Thanks for being kind enough to respond to my queries.

Cheers!

934 Posts

October 29th, 2012 14:00

> Dell's power adapter are completely sealed and one has to bust the brick open if it needs repairing which is not advisable.If the power cord itself is ok the only choice you have is to get a new power adapter.

> It could be a loose connection inside the brick or a faulty electrical part like a resistor whose original value can increase over time due to high voltages.As a result the power adapter just doesn't turn on anymore or only every know and then....

> A couple of weeks ago I had a similar problem as you.I quickly realized that wiggling the cable that connects to the power jack of the laptop created a short circuit.You may want to watch the video how I fixed the problem.

Again: it is NOT advisable for users who have no electrical experience to do the same - especially if the problem is on the dangerous primary side of the power adapter !!

677 Posts

October 30th, 2012 05:00

Hi freeman2002,

I agree to what Microtest has to say and you can try Wiggling the cable or reseating the cable on the AC Adapter brick to fix the issue. If the issue persists I suspect that it is a Motherboard issue and the same has to be replaced as the light goes out when the AC Adapter is connected to laptop (Motherboard might be shorting the AC Adapter). I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. THis will help me to identify the details of the system and provide a faster resolution.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards.
Harish R
#iworkfordell

October 30th, 2012 12:00

HR,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I can see where wiggling the grounded plug at the wall socket/strip-plug or re-seating it where it connects to the AC adaper brick are ways of trying to make a better connection (and thereby illuminating the LED), but I don't understand how the motherboard would influence the LED.  The LED and the adapter would be 'upstream' from the computer/motherboard... i.e., even if the power cord is not plugged into the computer, the LED should illuminate upon a power connection being made by the grounded cord, no?

677 Posts

October 31st, 2012 02:00

Hi freeman2002,

As I understand from your original query, once you plug the AC Adapter into the laptop the Blue light which is illuminated goes off. You have to re-plug the 3 foot long, grounded cord into the strip plug/wall socket to fix the issue. This is a clear case of Motherboard shorting and this is the reason why the AC Adapter is not able to provide enough power to charge the Battery.

I hope this helps.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

October 31st, 2012 14:00

HR,

Thanks for the prompt response.  Your interpretation of the problem as related in your post from earlier this AM is not correct. 

There are 3 items in play:

(1) the 3-prong (grounded) 3 foot long power cord that connects to

(2) the AC-DC power adapter brick, which has a 4 or 5 foot long cord that connects to

(3) the computer.

The sequence I follow when setting up my computer is to connect (1) to (2) first... then, if the blue LED on (2) is on, I go ahead & connect the coaxial plug into the computer.

The problem I am having is that, on occasion,  the adapter LED is not illuminating at the time #1 is plugged into the wall or strip-plug.  As I tried to relate in my original post, I've had luck so far eventually getting the LED to illuminate by repeating the wall connection and sometimes repeating the (1) to (2) connection. 

The computer connection / motherboard is not in play - what I am experiencing would likely be happening even if I have (2) to (3) disconnected.

I suspect the problem is likely a short of some kind either in the (1) cord or inside the adapter brick. 

October 31st, 2012 14:00

Hi freeman2002,

Please go thru the link mentioned below.

support.dell.com/.../document

Search for AC Adapter issue in support.dell.com -> Assisted Search

Also check in BIOS by getting to F2 on Dell logo, check whether AC Adapter type shows 65W / 90W. If the type shows Unknown - Probable AC Adapter issue / Need to update the BIOS to latest version (Note: Update the BIOS at your own risk), better to contact support people for help. If the AC Adapter LED goes off when you connect the powered AC Adapter - As Harish mentioned clearly it might be an AC Adapter issue / Motherboard problem. If you have an active warranty am sure the Tech Support reps can be of assistance.

677 Posts

October 31st, 2012 20:00

Hi freeman2002,

Thank you for providing the detailed description. The AC Adapter has gone bad and has to be replaced. You can try the steps provided by 'veejdeej' by checking the AC Adapter status in BIOS. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

1 Message

December 18th, 2012 11:00

Hi HR, having the same problems as freeman2002....cannot find a replacement on lin anywhere

help...

NC

Hampshire

UK

3.8K Posts

May 21st, 2013 02:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.

No Events found!