Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2015 15:00

Dell Duo 1090 8 beeps at startup

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum.  I'm at my wits end.  I need help please.  I've had a Dell Inspiron Duo 1090 since they first came out.  It got dropped about a year ago and the touch screen cracked.  The LCD display still worked perfect so I was able to use it as a "laptop".   

I recently sent it away to have the touch screen repaired/replaced.  It came back and had worked well for the last couple of months.  But last week it started to beep 8 times when it turned on.  These beeps continue until I turn the machine off.

I have tried everything suggested on this forum and on the internet,   

- Reset the Bios to Factory Default. No Good

- Removed all power, main battery and the penny battery. No good.

- Pressed and held the D key on boot-up (hundreds of times!). No good.

- Replaced the memory module. No good.

- Even changed the hard-drive. No good.

The crazy thing is the screen comes on with the Dell Logo, the Blue Status Bar starts across and reaches the end.  But a few seconds after it reaches the end the 8 bleeps start.

I can not run the "Diagnostics At Start Up" as the very nice fellows who upgraded my Hard-drive a few years ago did not create a "Factory Partition".

Please help all advise would be appreciated.  I have the JBL Docking Port  for my Duo and play my music from there.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 14:00

Hi, I don't want to start new thread with same subject so I'll reuse this if author doesn't mind.

I have a broken apart Inspiron n5040 - really nice machine - and it's shame to scrap it.

I would liek to use it without display with hdmi connector only. VGA for initial setup as HTPC of course.

I'm looking for a way to disable LVDS in BIOS completely and of course get rid of forever 8 beeps.

I would appreciate any advice even bios mods.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Al

1.8K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

According to the Manual for the Inspiron Duo 1090  (page 42), 8 beeps at start up signifies a display failure.  It might be something that has built up since the drop you mentioned, or it could simply be a new failure in the display.  

In the pdf I linked above, if you go to page 46 there are some other diagnostics tools you may be able to get into to run.  If you are not able to run those, and if you have access to an external CD/DVD drive you can try the directions on page 53 to try to run the diagnostics.

I hope this helps.   But you've already done many of the steps I would recommend to try to resolve the problem.  Honestly not sure what else to recommend to you to try.

Todd

2 Posts

July 5th, 2015 17:00

Would changing the motherboard pcb sort out the problem?

No Events found!