Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2014 13:00

Dell Inspiron 11 3147 Battery "Not Charging"

This new Dell Inspiron 11 3147 just arrived today.

The AC Adapter is "plugged in" but the battery is "not charging."

I've looked all over for help for this, Dell Diagnostic has found no problem, and I've had trouble getting a hold of customer service. The most commonly suggested idea has been to uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Complian Control Method Battery driver, which I have done.

The only thing I haven't messed with is the battery itself, which doesn't seem to be accessible without damaging the back, which is screwed on and secured well.

Any idea what's wrong?

9 Posts

December 8th, 2014 08:00

Update to my below post:

One day later, after the battery fully charged and all was well, I come back and it is back to the message "plugged in, not charging". I might see if reflashing the bios and rebooting will work again.

My original post on Dec 8, 2014:

I had this problem until this morning. In short, I updated the bios to Version A03,A03 (released Dec 2, 2014). Before that I did all the googling and messing about without success. Here's what to do:

1. Run "My Dell". You can access this by type Ctrl-Esc and then type in "My Dell" and clicking on the "My Dell" icon that comes up.

2. Click on the green "Drivers and Updates" panel. This should open a product support browser window.

3. Scroll down to the bottom beneath the section that says "These drivers match your selections" and click on the arrow next to "Bios"

4. Click on "Download file". Close all your other applications and run the file and follow the prompts. It will reboot for you at the end and the problem should be solved.

Good luck!

Ben

Version A03,A03

1 Message

January 14th, 2015 10:00

I had similar issues, this is what I found after some digging around.  The end of the plug that goes into the computer has a very thin post in the center.  Just by chance I noticed it was not centered and not allowing it to plug into the computer properly.  I re-centered this thin post in the plug (make sure unplugged from the wall), plugged it back in and all is good!  I will now make sure I very carefully plug this into the computer as it is a very fragile thin post centered inside the end of the plug.  One more thing to check..

3 Posts

February 6th, 2015 15:00

I fixed my own issue no thanks to support.  They switched out 3 chargers and 2 motherboards neither fixed the issue,   The fix is to restart your computer holding down F2.  Once in the configuration screen go to advanced and you will see battery charging configuration by default in Adaptive mode change that to Standard and save and exit.  Issue will go away.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 17:00

"Power/Battery status light Indicates the power state and battery state of the computer. Solid white light — Power adapter is connected to the computer and the battery is being charged. Solid yellow light — Battery charge is low or critical. Off— Power adapter is connected to the computer and battery is fully charged or power adapter is not connected to the computer." Found this in a manual on the dell website. I was having the same problem.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2014 08:00

Return this or any other Dell product that shows this message. There is a massive problem with hardware that is basically being swept under the rug by Dell. As a VAR, I have sold literally hundreds of Dell's to my clients in the past and had a dedicated inside sales rep - Hi Josh D! I was always impressed with the way that Dell handled problems - until this one came along. IMO the way they have handled this will eventually be their downfall. In the past, Dell embraced their user base and differentiated themselves by providing superior customer service. Now, however, they treat the hardware as a commodity that is strictly profit driven and they would lose all their profit and then some if they dealt with this problem the way they may have in the past. Bottom Line - RUN back to the store and get a refund! And then buy the cheapest laptop you can find that does what you need it to do. The only quality product you will find is no longer provided by Dell. Think of that PC supplier to the gamers that arrived from outer space if you're ready to lay out bigger bucks for a quality product. 

September 12th, 2014 08:00

Were you able to resolve this?  I am having the same problem.  Would appreciate knowing how you handled this.

Thank you.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2014 11:00

I bought 2 Inspiron 11 3147, one for myself and one for my husband.  Both are having this problem.  Gosh, what is the "PC supplier to gamers that arrived from outer space?"  After installing updates I no longer get the "AC adapter unrecognized" message, but the PCs still show "Plugged in, not charging."  They must have charged at some point because they are at 97% and 98%.  What a bummer!

2 Posts

November 4th, 2014 12:00

The PC I was referring to was Alienware that is now owned by Dell. I realized it after my original post - I'm a little out of touch now. I have arrived at the conclusion that I will buy the cheapest POS laptop that will do the basic things I need to do and throw them away when they break. My Inspiron was good the first year, started limping in the second year and now I can hardly wait to sell it's carcass on Ebay to someone who may need a HDD, display, KYB, DVD or charger. The rest of it is scrap and will be my last Dell - after literally purchasing hundreds of them.

November 5th, 2014 04:00

Same thing happened to me.  You need to send it back to your seller and they will get a new battery to install in your computer.   Substitute character removed as per TOU> but there is no other way unless you wanna pay for a new battery which you should not have to do.  Apparently this prob!em is common with this computer!!!! Not that Dell will admit it.

1 Message

December 31st, 2014 18:00

I updated BIOS to A03, but the battery still could not recharge. So I went back to BIOS, found the 'Battery charge configuration" setting, and changed the selection to "standard". The battery looks recharging now.:emotion-1:

9 Posts

December 31st, 2014 23:00

That's great. I hope it continues to work. Unfortunately for me, I tried every BIOS configuration for the battery after reading your reply and mine is still not charging. I am wondering if it may be a hardware issue.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 05:00

Yes thanks for that info but the light has no light on when i connect the power adaptor, 

6 Posts

January 14th, 2015 11:00

How do I re center thr plug of thr charger. I want to take it back to Office Depot where I bought it but its just a charaging problem 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 14th, 2015 15:00

Call Dell and have the system exchanged for a working one - there is no point troubleshooting a DOA system.

12 Posts

January 20th, 2015 19:00

I had the same problem. After 2 days it would not charge anymore. Not even a white light.  I open the bottom cover and push on a few connectors and it work until I put back the cover. I open the cover again and it would not work. I use to work in IT for 15 years and certified for HP, IBM and Toshiba. These steps are not recommended to do because if you don't know how static works in these you might burn something. Posting for Dell to read. I plug in the power and push on a few cable that I assume would be battery related. The white light came on again. I notice the small white connector was in but a little bite side ways. Toke out the power and un-plug the little white connector. I tried to push it back in but something was not right. I toke a flash light and in that little connector it has like 8 pins in it and the 2 last right pins where bent. I was able to un-bend the 2 pins with a safety pin. The little white connector when in great and it work. I have been using it for 3 weeks now and it's still charging great.

No Events found!