Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2009 19:00

Dell Inspiron 1420 No audio from internal speakers.

Good day, everybody.

I've received Inspiron 1420 Vista 32 from my brother as a gift. He had it before and said that he had sound from the moment he purchased, but later (he doesn't remember when) the sound just disappeared. I reinstalled the system to the factory settings (pressed F8 and then restored from the recovery D: disc). No audio through internal speakers. However, I can hear everything if I connect my headset through audio-jacks. I reinstalled drivers from the "Drivers and Utilities" DVD. Same result. I downloaded two drivers from Dell download page (R157031 and R167846) and tried one by one. Same thing. I ran diagnostic test (F12>...>System>Custom>Audio Analog test and can hear the sound through the speakers. I tried to delete the driver and restart computer, so Vista can catch the new hardware and fix the problem, but after new hardware was found, Windows driver installed, result is the same. I checked if the speakers are muted and they were not. I checked Control Panel>Sounds and saw 2 options on Playback tab. Speakers/Headphones (with green check mark) and Digital output device. Tried all options there, but still can't hear anything through speakers, but can through the headphone.

Guys, before I will gave up and broke this :emotion-39: laptop, help. Please. I am sure that solution is close, just need advise.

4 Posts

October 1st, 2009 14:00

I don't know for the 1420. The 1520 has an audio jack daughterboard here, Dell Part# : RT882.

It says Vostro 1500 which is the same as the Inspiron 1520. There is a telephone number you can call (1-800-357-3355) to see if it also is for the 1420.

Good day Jimco,

I am very excited and proud of myself, because I did it.  I did it. I did it.

I fixed the sound. Yesterday, I spent almost 1 hour talking with Dell customer service, Technical Department and *** knows with whom else, and all I got that I have to replace my Motherboard ($299). I couldn't find any info on Dell website about Inspiron 1420 Audio Jack Daughterboard as you showed me, so I decided to see it personally.

Today I disassembled my laptop completely using DELL MANUAL FOR INSPIRON 1420 . <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>After I pulled out Motherboard I could find (YES!!!!) Audio Jack Daughterboard. I started chat with Dell again, and spent one more hour trying to explain them, that Daughterboard for Inspiron exists and I am holding it in my hand.... I showed them your link..... I just wanted to buy Audio Jack daughterboard from them, but they were checking my service tag, asked me if I have waranty, where did I buy this notebook...... So, as a result, I didn't get any help from Dell.

After I gave up on them, I just lifted piece of foil touching my problematic jack and then assemble everything back. And VOILA!!!! Everything just fine. I have sound coming from internal speakerphone, I have one jack for headphone, one jack disabled, and one jack for microphone. TADA!!!!!!!

Thank you Jim, for your attention and support.  I am really appreciate your help.

Thanks again. And good luck.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2012 07:00

FIXED...RESOLVED!!!!!I have sevearl of these units and no audio. I looked up as much info as i could stomache. Went back and tried differnent options, then I stepped away. I got the audio hardware then went into Dells's website to find the same hardware but different laptop and the one that worked immedately after startup was the Dell 1720 Vista Driver..http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/GetDriver/InitiateSingleFileDownload?fileId=2731101426&driverId=DFHTY&isInstallAvailable=False&isKCSArticleTobeShown=False&categoryId=AU&returnUrl=%2Fsupport%2Fdrivers%2Fus%2Fen%2F19%2FProduct%2Finspiron-1720%3FretrieveState%3DTrue&isUSDownload=true

The R171786.exe

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 29th, 2009 19:00

The problem is the headphone jack. When you have this combination of symptoms:

* Speakers don't work and are not muted or deselected
    * Headphone jack does work
    * Reinstalling audio driver does not help
    * Audio test in Dell Diagnostics passes
    * On models with 2 headphone jacks, one may be "checked" in the control panel as if in use

The Dell laptops with 92HD audio utilize IDT's Universal Jacks technology, which is somewhat complicated. In addition to the usual mechanical parts, the jack also uses current & impedance-sensing techniques to trigger software configuration and switching (to send the audio signal to the speakers). So there are three areas of potential failure: mechanical, electronic, and software. Sometimes, a little very gentle wiggle of a plug in the jack will get it to resume normal functioning, at least temporarily. There is a sensing pin in the jack (Sense_A pin) that is used to detect the presence of plugs and it can be the cause of failure to trigger the software switching. Failure of the sense pin usually results in the computer behaving like there is always a plug in the jack.

Normally the audio test in Dell Diagnostics would confirm that there is a hardware problem, but the Universal Jacks can cause a false positive result in Diagnostics. That is because Diagnostics operates in DOS, outside of Windows, so a Windows software misconfiguration is irrelevant to the test even though in this case it is caused by hardware. So the audio test can pass in Diagnostics, correctly signaling that software configuration is the immediate cause of the problem, but missing that a hardware problem, the bad jack or sensing pin, is the root cause. In these instances the only reliable diagnostic procedures are to try a new motherboard or to use PC Restore (called Factory Image Restore in Vista) to restore the computer to its original configuration as shipped from the factory. If the speakers still don't work after PC/Factory Image Restore then there is definitely a hardware problem even if it passes the normally infallible Dell Diagnostic audio test.

4 Posts

September 29th, 2009 21:00

The problem is the headphone jack. When you have this combination of symptoms:

* Speakers don't work and are not muted or deselected
    * Headphone jack does work
    * Reinstalling audio driver does not help
    * Audio test in Dell Diagnostics passes
    * On models with 2 headphone jacks, one may be "checked" in the control panel as if in use

The Dell laptops with 92HD audio utilize IDT's Universal Jacks technology, which is somewhat complicated. In addition to the usual mechanical parts, the jack also uses current & impedance-sensing techniques to trigger software configuration and switching (to send the audio signal to the speakers). So there are three areas of potential failure: mechanical, electronic, and software. Sometimes, a little very gentle wiggle of a plug in the jack will get it to resume normal functioning, at least temporarily. There is a sensing pin in the jack (Sense_A pin) that is used to detect the presence of plugs and it can be the cause of failure to trigger the software switching. Failure of the sense pin usually results in the computer behaving like there is always a plug in the jack.

Normally the audio test in Dell Diagnostics would confirm that there is a hardware problem, but the Universal Jacks can cause a false positive result in Diagnostics. That is because Diagnostics operates in DOS, outside of Windows, so a Windows software misconfiguration is irrelevant to the test even though in this case it is caused by hardware. So the audio test can pass in Diagnostics, correctly signaling that software configuration is the immediate cause of the problem, but missing that a hardware problem, the bad jack or sensing pin, is the root cause. In these instances the only reliable diagnostic procedures are to try a new motherboard or to use PC Restore (called Factory Image Restore in Vista) to restore the computer to its original configuration as shipped from the factory. If the speakers still don't work after PC/Factory Image Restore then there is definitely a hardware problem even if it passes the normally infallible Dell Diagnostic audio test.

Yes, Jim. To my great regret, You are absolutely right. I checked Control Panel > Sigma Tel Audio and it shows that middle jack is "check marked" as if something plugged in (with all 3 jacks unplugged physically). I don't want to pay big bucks to fix it, so I think I will just plug external speakers there. I ran already Factory restore two times with no results, so I think this is one of my choices. The second one is to buy it HERE

Do you know how I can find the part number, so I will not buy wrong part? Thank you for your help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 30th, 2009 05:00

I don't know for the 1420. The 1520 has an audio jack daughterboard here, Dell Part# : RT882.

It says Vostro 1500 which is the same as the Inspiron 1520. There is a telephone number you can call (1-800-357-3355) to see if it also is for the 1420.

4 Posts

September 30th, 2009 09:00

Thank you again. I called them and spent 45 minutes and went through 10 transfers/on holds.......Finally I got that number they have is WK086. On the web site it is

ux283, so I am still not sure what part do I have to buy. On ebay they have Daughterboard with only 3 jacks and which can be attached to Motherboard. However Dell couldn't explain me if this is correct. Anyway, thanks a lot for your attention and help. I really really appreciate that.

Good luck and best wishes.

1 Message

January 20th, 2010 06:00

had same problem took it to pc shop no luck used drive detective myself and it fixed the no sound on internal speaker problem by the way this laptop is junk aspect mother board to go

1 Message

January 4th, 2016 20:00

I have DELL Inspiron 1420 and have the exact same problem as posted by Alexmark (thanks Alexmark for your good troubleshooting skill) on 29 Sep 2009 8:15 PM. Your description help me to understand and identify my headphone jack problem. For now my speakers work by little gentle wiggle the jack, I might need to replace the headphone jack if the problem occurs again.

No Events found!