Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2016 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5559 - No backlit keyboard...?

Hey guys, I just had a Dell Inspiron 15 5559 delivered to me yesterday and I noticed there wasn't a backlit keyboard installed. At first, I thought it was just off, but after looking around this site and doing some research to first make sure I wasn't just not able to turn it on, I've arrived to this conclusion. 

I've tried doing Fn + F10. I've tried Ctrl + F10. I've tried going to Mobility Center and changing multimedia/function key.I also have all my drivers updated and made completely sure everything was updated in case it was just a software issue. I also updated BIOS and went there and checked if I could change keyboard settings there; no luck.

The thing is, my laptop is the touch model and to the extent of my knowledge, all touch models are equipped with a backlit keyboard. So what's going on...? Do I have to pay out another $50 for a backlit keyboard?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2K Posts

October 30th, 2016 18:00

Hi AARONVUONG,

Firstly, let us check the system configuration. Kindly click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records and I shall verify the configuration.

Alternatively, you could check the system configuration here - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and check original system configuration.

If it is indeed shipped with a backlit keyboard, then restart the system and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS - under POST behavior - check the fn lock options - while in BIOS, try the fn + f10 / f10 only accordingly and check if the backlight comes on.

Another way to determine is that, when you power on the system, the backlit would come on for about a second and go off on certain models.

Based on your response, I shall advise further course of action.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!