Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

71 Posts

November 15th, 2017 02:00

I also saw this problem, twice in quick succession. Just a sudden restart, and I was in the middle of an OS update on a VM. Thankfully that's not critical but the VM didn't boot the the first time after the sudden reboot.

I had only noticed it today for the first time, since getting the laptop (Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming) a week ago. I was also on battery, both times. Oddly, I had been running Linux for a week and didn't see the problem (though I mostly run plugged in, I did run from battery a couple of days, even with Linux). I've just switched back to Windows 10 and saw the problem twice. Been OK for several hours now though. I'm also on Bios 1.2.0 (updated soon after getting the laptop) and see no further BIOS updates.

1 Message

November 15th, 2017 09:00

+1, I've got same problem. its restart randomly after I install the new BIOS.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2017 15:00

Visiting this discussion thread everyday to see if there's good news. So far, none. Come on, Dell. You can do better than this.

1 Message

November 15th, 2017 15:00

Same issue please help :(

9 Posts

November 16th, 2017 07:00

I do not see any recent driver updates listed for my service tag/Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming laptop.

Dell, can you please provide an update on this issue?

1 Message

November 17th, 2017 04:00

Same issue after BIOS update. Fixed the grey screen issue but now laptop restarts randomly by itself. Twice already within a couple of hours. Please fix this problem asap as this is a major issue.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2017 11:00

Has anyone talked to someone at Dell yet?

9 Posts

November 17th, 2017 15:00

I contacted Dell technical support chat a few days ago. The agent suggested that it may be a hardware / battery related issue, but I am certain that the issue is caused by the 1.2.0 BIOS update.

My laptop is still covered under the one year warranty, but at this point I wish I could simply return it and get a full refund.

1 Message

November 18th, 2017 01:00

Exactly the same issue

10 Posts

November 18th, 2017 04:00

What's annoying about this situation is the fact that Dell refuses to believe that it is caused by the faulty BIOS. To be honest, if the grey screen problem never happened, I wouldn't upgrade the BIOS in the first place. This is not a hardware problem, Dell. Acknowledge this fact. The grey screen problem and this shutdown/restart problem happened the same day for me.

My laptop is still covered under the one year warranty. If they do replace parts, it's just a waste of time. My computer is already flooded with kernel 41 errors, geezus. We can't keep this plugged in forever.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2017 00:00

Dell Updates throw me again the BIOS Update 1.2.0. after i downgraded hoping to fix it (It didn't) My Laptop keeps freezing in random times and is really annoying. I dont want to lose my work for this problems so DELL PLEASE, GIVE US FEEDBACK, SOMETHING!

9.4K Posts

November 20th, 2017 06:00

Please be sure you are following the guidelines in this knowledgebase article:  http://www.dell.com/support/article/sg/en/sgdhs1/sln129956/bios---what-it-is-and-how-to-download-or-update-your-bios?lang=en

5 Posts

November 20th, 2017 07:00

What about those of us that HAVE followed the guidelines and are still getting shut-downs?  There IS a bug somewhere and DELL is not acknowledging it!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

@Community,

I've submitted a question to Dell engineering to try and find out if they're working to resolve anything similar to the symptom reported on this thread. Once I hear back from them I'll post back here with next steps.

1 Message

November 20th, 2017 13:00

Well lets wait on word Ladies and Gents! I need this fixed!

No Events found!