Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2009 06:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 screen brightness adjustment not working

When I try to adjust the screen brightness by holding the Fn key and pressing the up/down arrows nothing happens. I last found it to be working several months ago. I downloaded Dell Quickset and updated BIOS today but this does not resolve the problem. Any constructive suggestions appreciated.

Brian

August 9th, 2011 10:00

I just tried this and IT WORKED! I don't know how much luck you'll have, but try holding the Fn key and pressing the up/down arrows WHILE your computer is booting. It worked for me. For my Inspiron 1420, I adjusted the brightness when it was when the screen went black and had the words "Microsoft Corporation" on it and the green loading bar was going across the screen. That's what I did and I hope it works for you!! :)

1 Message

April 1st, 2012 08:00

the fix for me, was to go into Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver, (if it prompts you to delete the driver, select "no")  then scan for hardware changes and let it reinstall itself.  30 second fix.  done.

1 Message

December 7th, 2009 17:00

Same computer, same problem.  I just started having the same problem a week ago after having the machine work fine for me for the past year.  Like you, I've tried changing all of the power settings, using the Fn keys, etc. - no luck.  Did you find an answer?  Thanks.

1 Message

January 12th, 2010 09:00

I've also been having this problem for about a month on my Inspiron 1545.  It will work when the computer is booted, and usually for the entire time I'm using it, but sometimes will stop working. If I press the brightness up or down key, the brightness control will pop up on the screen and go up or down as I control it, but the actual screen will not change in brightness, and if I wait for the brightness pop-up to disappear and press the Fn keys again, it will be at where it originally was. Again, I've had this problem for about a month now. The only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting. Help would definitely be appreciated.

~Jonathan

2 Posts

October 15th, 2010 21:00

I had this exact same problem on my Dell Studio 1558.  The F4 and F5 keys would not adjust the brightness.  It has the Intel HD Graphics.  I tried updating the driver from Intel's website, but that didn't work.  It said I was using a custom software, I had to update from my OEM.  So, I downloaded the latest driver from Dell's website, and that didn't work either.  I got an error message when I tried to install.  So, I unstalled the driver from device manager.  Then, I installed the updated driver from Dell.  But then I ran into a big problem, as that driver didn't work at all, and I had no video when I rebooted Windows.  So, I entered Safe Mode, went back to Intel's website, and used their driver update tool to download the latest software, and everything is working normally.

So, basically, I think Dell has Intel Graphics driver software that was incompatable with my computer.  You need to get the correct software from Intel, not from Dell, to fix the problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2011 04:00

Just press the up and down brightness buttons WITHOUT pressing and holding the fn key, that should do it.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2011 02:00

Almost two years since this brightness keys' problem first reported, and yet DEll didn't bother answering this problem! I have the same problem on my Inspiron 5010 for almost two months now, and I couldn't find a solution to it. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places? I do regret buying DELL Laptop.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2012 13:00

Yes!!! Thank you! It worked. I found the graphics driver under the Display Adapters. (Didn't know that.) I'm a Mac, new to PC and I still fixed it! Brightness buttons work now. Thanks!

4 Posts

July 13th, 2012 12:00

:emotion-2:   worked for me too inspiron n5010 15r.....uninstalling driver not deleting then scan for plug n play device install it

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2 Posts

August 15th, 2012 17:00

Thanks, that helped me too

4 Posts

September 5th, 2012 01:00

Thank you so much Duct Tape! That helped me too.  Win7 Ultimate 32-bit on Inspiron 1520.

I recently installed latest drivers (8.17.13.142, driver date 5/15/2012) for GeForce 8600M GT from NVIDIA's site.  I also adjusted the Power options. Not sure, but likely one of those is why Fcn+up/dn arrow keys stopped adjusting brightness.

Under Device Manager > Display Adapters > NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT   I used RMB context menu to Disable the driver (not necessary to uninstall it). Screen resolution gets changed.  Reset screen resolution. Then use same Device manager menu to Enable driver and brightness is now adjustable.

1 Message

September 27th, 2012 06:00

This also worked like a charm, thanks all. No thanks to dell though. 

1 Message

October 7th, 2012 01:00

yeahh.. it worked for my DELL  INSPIRON  N5010..!! :emotion-1: :emotion-1: so happy. was tensed for over a month tryng to find solutions  & nthng worked. But it worked within seconds. THANKYOU :emotion-2:

1 Message

March 24th, 2013 01:00

oh my godddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. you jus solved my 3 days headache...........i went to every link in rhe google for brightness issue and neither worked.......untill i found your solution :)))))))))))))) tons of thanks dear :D

April 10th, 2013 20:00

HAVE ANY PROBLEM IN YOUR LAPTOP LIKE SCREEN, HDD, RAM, PHYSICAL DAMAGE BATTERY CHARGER ORIGINAL JUST CALL<ADMIN NOTE: Contact number removed per privacy policy>

ALL SERVICE ON OUR DOOR STAPES  ALL OVER INDIA JUST CALL <ADMIN NOTE: Contact number removed per privacy policy> JUST SMS YOUR PROBLEM

No Events found!