Highlighted

Dell Inspiron 1545 AC Adapter Problem

Jump to solution

Okay, so i have had my inspiron 1545 for 4 months now, and have had a problem where the "Battery is plugged in, not charging", I have read from a lot of places that, my adapter has probably gone bad, and can buy a new one at the Dell store. Only... When i go to my local library, my battery charges. Which is really weird. I have computers and game consoles and TV's plugged in at my house, and they all work fine. But my laptop wont charge. Is it just an odd coincidence? Or should i look into buying a new Dell Adapter?

43 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 AC Adapter Problem

Jump to solution

If you have a 4 month old computer you should contact Dell for a replacement part, not buy anything yourself. It's still under warranty. It could be the adapter, the battery or the port on the motherboard. Edit: Try a different outlet in case it's a problem with the electrical outlet in your house.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

how about mine? i had my laptop for like 7 months then i had some problems for my adapter i wont work sometimes the blue light wont turn on . but now i wont work ever. i went to a dell store for the warranty to repair my charger, they told me that the warranty does not go with the charger only for the laptop. pls help is that true? how can i get to repair my charger or replace it for free. Smiley Sad its inspiron 1545. if not how much for a new charger pls help

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sorry to here that your charger is also messed up. Dell told me the same thing, that it wasn't covered under warranty, and it seems that their chargers for the Inspiron 1545 are not very well made. I've gone through forum after forum of people complaining about the chargers quiting after 4-10 months of use. I ended up switching to one of my old laptop adapters, I think an Inspiron 1150 adapter that works great, and has been for a few years now. You will probably have to look into a new adapter, and if you do, i would not suggest the manufacturer because their adapters are outrageously expensive. Just google adapters for your laptop, and any adapter with either a circle or hex input should work above 65w. Hope you figure out this mess. Sorry once again to here that your adapter doesn't work anymore. I personally think that they have shipped their adapters out with bad capacitors in them. Not so much bad as they are generic. Or something along those lines. Haha. Hope this helps :]

0 Kudos
ebmargit
Bronze

Jump to solution

Yup, my charger is starting to fail, too.  I'm ordering a replacement now... in the scheme of things, not that expensive.

Wishing I had sprung for a Mac.  I've only had my Inspiron 1545 for 8 months.  At least from this forum I know lots of people are having this problem, so I don't have to waste my time on hold only to be told it's not covered!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Are you 100% certain that the cirlce input will fit the hex shaped one?

0 Kudos
ebmargit
Bronze

Jump to solution

Are you 100% certain that the cirlce input will fit the hex shaped one?

Well, I didn't know that it would be circular, but it does work just fine.  It's a generic one that I got from Buy.com (which can be risky, apparently ... but there are also AC adapters available on Amazon.com.  All told, with shipping, it cost around $30).  There's no way I'd order a replacement from Dell, since theirs only lasted 8 months!

0 Kudos
ninelives58
Bronze

Jump to solution

I replaced my 65 watt charger that came with my Inspiron 1750 laptop, which has a hex shaped plug in, with a Dell 90 watt charger, which has a round shaped plug in, and it fits just fine.

0 Kudos
popkilla
Copper

Jump to solution

i have the same problem too.. i buy my dell inspiron about 5 moths ago and the charger doesn't not work anymore..  first the led blinks and later shut off.. i duh' what to do... i need my laptop 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you purchased the system 5 months ago then you are most likely still under a service contract and you should contact Dell Tech Support immediately to report the problem.   Depending on where you are located you can either call, email, or use online chat.   You can find contact information for your country / region on http://support.Dell.com.

0 Kudos