Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2011 19:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 Start Up Repair?

My computer was being used by my girlfriend to watch some show.  During her use, my computer "freaked up" and she had to manually shut it down.  Now whenever I turn on my computer, it goes to my normal log-in page but instead of my password boz coming up, a gray window comes up.  It reads:

"Start Up Repair
        Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.  If you continue to see this message, contact you system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistane,

Click Finish to exit and shut down your computer.

View diagnostic and repair details
View advanced options for system recovery and support."

I've done all that I know how to do, and I still cannot get this to go away.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2011 20:00

Sounds like a bad hard drive.  F12 at powerup - boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended (not just quick) hard drive test.

2 Posts

April 26th, 2011 11:00

I had tried that and nothing happened.  But I will give it another try when I get home.  If nothing happens, what would you suggest I do then?

3.8K Posts

April 28th, 2011 12:00

Hi Sambaum3,

Welcome to the Community. You can do a system restore through the Recovery Console, use the below link. Restore the computer to a date when the computer was working fine.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_325300&isLegacy=true#Issue3

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

April 12th, 2013 09:00

My computer was being used by my girlfriend to watch some show.  During her use, my computer "freaked up" and she had to manually shut it down.  Now whenever I turn on my computer, it goes to my normal log-in page but instead of my password boz coming up, a gray window comes up.  It reads:

"Start Up Repair
        Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.  If you continue to see this message, contact you system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistane,

Click Finish to exit and shut down your computer.

View diagnostic and repair details
View advanced options for system recovery and support."

I've done all that I know how to do, and I still cannot get this to go away.

Our

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 09:00

The most common cause of this is a dying hard drive.  To check that, press F12 a few times at powerup, boot to the Dell diagnostics from the menu that appears, and run an extended hard drive test (NOT just the quick one).

No Events found!