Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2011 14:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 - Two beeps will not boot

I have a dell inspiron 1545 that I bought last year that now just recently will not boot up, When I hit the power button the power light will come on, I hear the hard drive and the fan boot up but the screen will stay blank and I will here two beeps. When I leave it there it will just sit there and beep.

Occasionally it will boot up but it will freeze and the screen will become pixelted in a way

I've done a little bit of research and found that it may be a RAM problem and that I may need to replace it but before I do that I just want to get some reassurance on the Dell forums before I go out and buy something I can't return.

3.8K Posts

June 17th, 2011 13:00

Hi ItsalwaysSunny,

Welcome to the Community. Before you replace the memory, I suggest you to reseat your memory. Use the below link for help. If that does not fix it, and if your able to see the Dell Logo at startup, press F12 at that page, and select Diagnostics, and run an extended diags on your computer, post back if you get any error codes.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

June 18th, 2011 15:00

I have the same problem, which usually occurs on shut down/stand by. I reseated the memory and ran all the diagnostics when the computer decided to start. Useless to say that everything was ok, until the next reboot. I'm getting tired of this problem, I checked several forums, many people seem to have the same problem, but nobody knows what causes it. The first posts on various forums were from 2009, which means that last year, 1545 was sold without correcting this flaw. I'll keep this computer as a desktop, always on and at home, and when I buy another laptop, I'll choose another brand.

Cheers

Adrian

1 Message

October 11th, 2011 12:00

hi royan,

i have the same problem as itsalwaysunny anf followed your advice on diagnostics. but at the end it says press any key so i press a key and then it just doesnt do anything so i have to abort it. so what could i do to fix my laptop

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Hi.

My problem was fixed, it was the mainboard that had to be replaced. Luckily, I had a 3-year warranty, so I didn't have to pay.

Good luck,

Adrian

3 Posts

July 12th, 2012 15:00

how much would something like that cost?? It comes on but its stops at the screen after the Dell logo its black with one blinking _ in the left hand corner......

3 Posts

well i have a dell and i got the error code 0146

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That error means the hard drive is bad - it needs to be replaced.

3 Posts

how much would something like that cost?? It comes on but its stops at the screen after the Dell logo its black with one blinking _ in the left hand corner......

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 12th, 2012 16:00

A new drive will run between $50-75.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 21:00

It sounds like DELL willfuly sent out many units with faulty motherboards!!!! i keep posting this message in every forum, you shouldnt need a  3-year warrenty to get it repaired!!! if you make a product and then send it out knowing me and multiple other people are haveing the same Motherboard problem same dell same model.... RIGHT IS RIGHT we didnt break it why shoud we have to pay to fix it !!!!! Dell made the mistake of outsourcing to get cheaper componets at the coast of us having to repair a quailty ERROR!!! Get it Together

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 09:00

I have an issue where my laptop(Dell Inspiron 1545) beeps two to four times before it gives me an option to cloose an operating system. I don't have any operating system installed on my laptop but it still requires me to choose windows 7 to load. I then tried to load Linux ubuntu flavour to see if it will beep on restart, it beeps several times before loading. I am very disappointed. switched back to Win7 pro, it still does. I don't know what to do next; just don't tell me to order new MB please. any other suggestion will be appreciated; Thanks

1 Message

September 3rd, 2013 20:00

I have the same problem with my studio i7 i joined the community because I thought someone had responded to itsalwayssunny

3.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Guangzhou1,

Please share the exact system model. Also, elaborate the issue so that I can assist you further. Share the number of beeps you hear from the system. Since when you are facing this issue? Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer?

1 Message

November 28th, 2013 20:00

I have an Inspiron 1545 that will not boot up anymore.  At power up, I have a black screen, can hear the hard drive start to spin and then

after about 5 seconds, the hard drive stops, and then I hear 4 beeps continuously.  I have swapped the memory DIMMS as well.  Also, have tried to reset

the power by several other 'tricks' from the forum, but that does not appear to help.   There is mention of a bad motherboard from the onset.  Can you comment or help?  Or is this machine toast now?

November 28th, 2013 22:00

My computer had the exact same symptoms. After trying stuff from forums I brought it to Dell Service. They fixed it and whn I asked what it was, it was the motherboard. Exactly what it was about it, I don't know. They mentioned something more detailed but I don't know much about computers.

If your warranty still applies, ship it to them to have it fixed. Otherwise, perhaps you should assess the best option between paying for repair or buying a new one.

Cheers

No Events found!