Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2013 04:00

Dell Inspiron 15r Fan issues: how to change bios settings?

Hi everyone,

I've got overheating problems with my Dell Inspiron 15r (5521) on Ubuntu.

I downloaded the i8kutils and i8kmon packages to solve the "randomly starting fans" problem, but sometimes the i8kmon settings are overwritten by something else, and the fans start working randomly again, until I shut down and restart i8kmon.

I think this is due to the default bios fan settings, but I can't find any entry in my BIOS to change this behaviour.

How can I change the default fan behaviour on my Dell Inspiron? Is there a way to reach and change the Dell fan settings?

By the way, what's the optimal temperature for Dell Inspiron 15r models?

1.3K Posts

May 19th, 2013 23:00

Hi Ppierpaolo,

Please click on the link below for useful information on laptop overheating issues and how to resolve the problem.

http://dell.to/16Cfu35

An out of date BIOS can cause heat issues by having an outdated temperature table for the system, in order to resolve this issue, you may also try to update the BIOS on your computer.

The link below will take you to the Drivers & Downloads Homepage for your Dell Inspiron 5521. Download and install the latest version of BIOS available.

http://dell.to/18WX1gf

Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard. Ensure that all external devices are disconnected from the computer before you begin the BIOS update. Also make sure there are no cd/dvds in the optical drive. Once the BIOS has been updated, the system will reboot.  

Hope this resolves the issue for you. Let me know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

10 Posts

May 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi Babita.

I thank you for your answer, but this is not what I'm looking for. I already updated my BIOS to the latest release (sorry if I didn't mention it in my previous post) and it didn't help.

That's why I asked for a way to reach and change the Dell fan settings from BIOS, since those bios settings are continuously overriding my i8kmon customized settings (and it's quite annoying).

Do you know how can I do so?

Moreover, do you know where I can find a technical sheet or something similar where are written the optimal Inspiron 15r 5521 temperatures? The best I found is something that reported the highest temperatures, but this is not what I need.

Thank you :)

1.3K Posts

May 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ppierpaolo,

Thank you for your reply.

The BIOS on your Dell Inspiron 5521 does not have the option to change fan speeds and temperature settings manually. Since the issue you are facing is Ubuntu-related, please contact the Ubuntu Support numbers mentioned below, if you are located in US/Canada or Latin America.

Dell Ubuntu Support Numbers :-

US/Canada 1-866-622-1947
Latin America 01-800-111-3355

There is also another website which you can check out for useful information on the query you have. The link below has information on I8kmon  which monitors  the CPU temperature and fan status on your Dell Inspiron laptop. However, we recommend you check and confirm with Dell Ubuntu Support.

http://bit.ly/10PtfUe

The temperature range for your system is mentioned below:

Temperature range:

Operating

0º to 35º C (32º to 95º F)

Non-operating

-40º to 65º C (-40º to 149º F)

Hope this information proves helpful. Please reply if you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Ppierpaolo,  

We hope you found the information provided above useful in resolving the issue you had with your Dell system. Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

10 Posts

June 1st, 2013 16:00

Hello,

I am having the problem with the fan speed with my new Dell Inspiron 5521 i7-3317U, Full HD with installed Ubuntu 12.04. I PURCHASED THIS LAPTOP YESTERDAY. The FAN is too noisy.After starting the Laptop, the fan start and is not stopping or changing the revolutions at all. Still I didn't istall any Windows just because the Laptop is bright NEW What should I do, to RETURN BACK the Laptop immediately or updating the BIOS will solve the Problem. I saw that there is new version of the BIOS AO7. Would you be so kind to answer as fast as possible because if there is problem with the Laptop to return the Laptop back within 7 days.

PLEASE HELP!

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 00:00

Hello,

I am having the problem with the fan speed with my new Dell Inspiron 5521 i7-3317U, Full HD with installed Ubuntu 12.04. I PURCHASED THIS LAPTOP YESTERDAY. The FAN is too noisy.After starting the Laptop, the fan start and is not stopping or changing the revolutions at all. Still I didn't istall any Windows just because the Laptop is bright NEW What should I do, to RETURN BACK the Laptop immediately or updating the BIOS will solve the Problem. I saw that there is new version of the BIOS AO7. Would you be so kind to answer as fast as possible because if there is problem with the Laptop to return the Laptop back within 7 days.

PLEASE HELP!

1.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Ivots77,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with your new Dell Inspiron 5521.

Unfortunately, I do not have expertise on Ubuntu-installed systems and would not be able to assist you in this regard.  However, you may contact the Ubuntu Support department on the telephone numbers given below. They would be happy to help you resolve the issue at the earliest.

Ubuntu Contact Numbers:

Region Support Number
US/Canada 1-866-622-1947
Latin America 01-800-111-3355

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 10:00

Hi Babita S,

Thank you for the reply but is diffucult for me to make phone call to US/Canada. Is there any e-mail adress to contact them. Would you discus this problem that I have with some of your colleagues if I update the BIOS. The problem will be solved or not.Thank you.

1.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Ivots77,

Please click on the link below for Dell Contact Information. Under Technical Support you will find the options for contacting Dell through chat, phone or email. You can select the option suitable to you and contact the concerned team. Every country/region has a dedicated support team and I am sure you will get the technical assistance required once you contact them.

http://dell.to/12XFmCv

However, do let me know if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

10 Posts

June 4th, 2013 15:00

Hi Babita S,

Thank you for your reply,

I gave the Laptop to the computer shop from where I bought it. I told them to update da BIOS. They updated the BIOS to version A07 this is the latest for Dell 5521 but the situation with the fan speed is the same when  using the power supply. When using the Laptop only on battery no such problem. But I think the main problem is Ubuntu. But I have question. Would you be so kind to reply. DOES UPDATING TO LATEST BIOS INCLUDE ALL PREVIOS VERSIONS FIXES?. I am asking this question because they updated the BIOS on my Laptop with the Latest version and in the

Article ID: 597270

Date Published: 2013-03-04

Fans spinning High, Excessive Fan Noise - A06 Bios Update Fix here is shown that this Bios Update fixes the Fan Control Algorithm.

Thank you.

1.3K Posts

June 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ivots77,

With reference to your query regarding BIOS,  generally, you may install the latest version of  BIOS no matter what previous version you have installed. The BIOS updates do not need to be installed in chronological order as each new version includes changes from all previous versions.

This information can be verified from the Dell Article in the link below:

http://dell.to/13HzFpd

However, as I have mentioned earlier, I am not trained on Ubuntu and would request you to confirm with the Ubuntu Technical Support Team for any technical issues with your computer.

Please click on the link below for Dell Contact Information. Under Technical Support you will find the options for contacting Dell through chat, phone or email. You can select the option suitable to you and contact the concerned team. Every country/region has a dedicated Support Team and I am sure you will get the technical assistance required once you contact them.

I hope your issue is resolved at the earliest. Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1.3K Posts

June 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ivots77,

We hope you have been able to get in touch with the concerned department.

As mentioned earlier, please click on the link below for Dell Contact Information. Under Technical Support you will find the options for contacting Dell through chat, phone or email. You can select the option suitable to you and contact the concerned team. Every country/region has a dedicated Support Team and I am sure you will get the technical assistance required once you contact them.

We hope the issue is resolved at the earliest. Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

10 Posts

June 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi Babita S,

Thank you for the replay. I installed Win7x64. What can I say, in the beginning it looks like that the problem is in Ubuntu. I red many articles that Ubuntu is creating this problem due to problems with controling the Power management. In the Computer shop the Laptop was preinstalled with Win7 x 64 and everithing seems to be OK. They called me and I took the Laptop. Today I started movie x264 and around the 6 minutes after starting the movie fans start on max.speed and is not STOPPING AT ALL. OK Now I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. But for me this is not normal the fan to run on max.speed without stopping so long, what can not cool. What will happen if I am running some new GAME. How is possible this. I Have DELL XPS L502 Laptop and I don't have such problem. Still pass 9 days after I bought the Laptop and this is too much with this noise. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE. Thank you very much.

1.3K Posts

June 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi Ivots77,

Thank you for your reply. We are sorry to hear of the continous issues you are facing with your Dell computer.

As mentioned earlier, Ubuntu-installed computers have a dedicated technical support team and my access to your records may be limited, however, understanding the ongoing inconvenience caused to you till now, I request you to contact me through private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your system service tag and contact information ( i.e. the registered owner's name, telephone number, shipping address, etc.) so that I may try to help you as best as I can.  

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1.3K Posts

June 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi Ivots77,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!