Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2012 05:00

Dell Inspiron M301Z - No Webcam Driver?!

There has already been a topic posted about this a year or so ago, however no solutions were posted.

I have recently acquired a brand new Dell Inspiron M301Z and as all new machines, I downloaded all the drivers from the website formatted and re-installed.

However I note that Dell do not provide any drivers in the driver section for the webcam... solution?

I also note that windows 7 is unable to detect any webcam or unknown device within the device manager

Bad form that Dell have not included any drivers!  One last thing, before I re-installed, the webcam was fully functioning...

6 Posts

May 10th, 2012 08:00

Turned out I had disabled a few items in the bios - restoring the bios to its defaults and boom webcam appeared.  Although the bios settings give no indication of the webcam.... still problem sorted :)

6 Posts

I did take a screenshot of the device manager just before I re-installed - unfortunately I didn't expand the "Imaging Devices" section... I digress... after re-installing a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate, the device manager no longer shows an Imaging Devices section...

6 Posts

* hamacardo sighes loudly...

1) The drivers were installed in the correct order

2) There was no webcam driver using the service tag on the generic dell driver download resource

3) The My Dell Downloads regisration failed (used ie9) kicking up a Service Tag Not Supported error

4) The link you provided did not work after installation and reboot - launching the application presented a "no supported camera installed" error

Again, why Dell have not provided the driver / package for the webcam is confusing

4.4K Posts

Hi hamacardo,

Welcome to the Community,

After reinstalling the windows did you reinstall the drivers in the correct order as shown in the link below:

support.dell.com/.../document

To redownload the factory installed software's including the Webcam Software (which includes the driver), you need to login to My Dell Downloads and register your system.

You can also try to install the Webcam Software directly from the link below and see if it works on your system:

pages.suddenlink.net/.../DellWebcamCentral1.4.exe

Further to login to My Dell Downloads follow the steps below:

Note:The following steps will only work with Internet Explorer. It will not work in Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. Also the registration process requires a download and scan of your Dell computer and can take up to five minutes to perform.

Navigate to the Dell Support Website (www.support.dell.com)

Click My Account in the upper right corner and sign in with your Dell My Account in the popup box provided.

Under the My Software section on the right side of the page, click "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)".

Click the checkbox that agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the My Dell Downloads website and click Register System at the bottom of the page

At the My Download Locker page, click the registered system that corresponds with the computer for which you are trying to download the software.

This should bring up the list of software's available for download for your system.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan

6 Posts

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi hamacardo,

Try running  the Webcam diagnostics given in the post below by one of our Rockstars Rick and let me the result.

en.community.dell.com/.../3557.webcam-diagnostics.aspx

Thank You,

Roshan

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2012 09:00

Glad you got it working.

Thank you for posting back your solution.

No Events found!