Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2012 18:00

Dell Inspiron M5010 - 7 beep code - Motherboard or Memory?

My dell Inspiron m5010 is giving a 7 beeping code when I cut it on and I was trying to figure out if there was a way to tell if it's the motherboard or if it's the memory? I've read previous posts about it and have tried previous solutions without prevail. What's happening is I can cut it on and you'll hear the fan running, but the screen will remain black like the operating system won't cut on. I've tried reseating the memory but that didn't work... Is there a way to tell what's gone bad with the laptop if you're not able to cut it on and do a diagnostics test? I'm really hoping it's just the memory but I don't want to go buy new memory and it be the motherboard... If it helps I have two memory cards, each is I think 3gb. It is a little over a year old so it is out of warranty. 

4.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 01:00

Hi,

To get the estimate you need to call 1-800-288-4410  and inform them that processor has failed on your system as per the diagnostic beep codes and they can give you an estimate for the repair.You don't have to pay 59$ to go through the diagnostic as you already know what the problem is.

There is no charge just to get an estimate on the repair charges.

Thank You

Roshan.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Start by reseating (remove and reinstall) the memory modules - if that doesn't work, try them one at a time until you isolate the bad module (or bad mainboard).

4 Posts

Ok thanks. I've tried reseating the memory but that didn't seem to help. I left my laptop with my parents so I won't have access to it until Thurs, but once I do I'll try using one memory at a time. If that doesn't work either will that rule out it being the memory?

4.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi sarge255,

Welcome to the Community,

Beeps codes are used as diagnostic indicators.On your system model 7 beeps would mean a processor failure.

Since your system is out of warranty for help with repairs you can contact Dell Out of Warranty Repairs Department at 1-800-288-4410 ( For US customers).

Thank You

Roshan.

4 Posts

April 1st, 2012 23:00

So is there a way to get an estimate on how much the total would be to fix it? I don't want to pay the $59 for a technician to diagnose the problem and then it cost $300 to repair it..... I can just buy a new laptop for that amount.

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 02:00

Ah ok that's good to hear, thanks so much for the help Roshan.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2012 09:00

You ppl are giving wrong information in the forum and trying to direct customer to extend warranty periods.  I was also having the same problem and dell tech support person told me processor failure but it was not the problem....problem was different and i resolved the problem with local guy..........this community is fake...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2012 10:00

Perhaps instead of posting negative, useless comments, you'd care to tell us what WAS wrong?

It might actually help someone - which is the purpose of the forum.  

5 Posts

As DELL-Roshan L said about processor failure..i am not satisfy with answer...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

So, what DID they do?

5 Posts

I posted for help to tell "processor failure" cannot be the only reason...Ya sure i would like to share..i was getting 7 beep sound and my laptop display got black so i spoke to dell technician and they told that this problem might be because of processor failure or motherboard and he was telling me to take package to resolve the problem but he was not sure and then i preferred local laptop repair center and they didn't change my processor or motherboard...

5 Posts

They didn't disclose(Business strategy) because if i come to know then next time i only resolve the issue....i am s/w engineer and i know about hardware also and i was failed to open mother board because i was not having proper tools.....Things is that if processor failure or motherboard issue was there and why did those ppl resolve the issue in 1/2 an hour and why did they take only few bucks...

5 Posts

September 8th, 2012 11:00

I also tried to reseated the RAM, but wasn't helpful. I agree that's why i said that "processor failure" cannot be the only reason. but my concern is that if they reseated the CPU or any other thing so why Dell technician says that this is "Processor failure" problem. if they know what exactly the matter then only they should point to.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2012 11:00

It may be they simply reseated the CPU and/or RAM, which is a good strategy no matter what.  It may or may not have permanently fixed the problem, though.

193 Posts

September 8th, 2012 12:00

7 beeps is a processor failure.  Steps:

Reseat processor -- test, if no go,

Replace mobo -- test, if no go

replace proc -- if no go, you have a paperweight

No Events found!