Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2013 12:00

Dell Inspiron N5010 - Can Main Board be PARTIALLY damaged/ fried? No LCD Display -Help!

Hello. Please bare with me and read this all here if you are experienced.  I have a DELL Inspiron N5010 (great laptop) but I physically broke the WXGA LCD panel.  I bought another but while installing it I left the battery in (not too bright I know).  It sparked a little when connecting it to the main board and I also managed to damage the delicate pins.  I just used the VGA output (which of course caused the 8 beeps each time with no lcd installed) but the laptop now had the following problems:

a) internal network adapter was dead.  (i plugged in a USB one and it works)

b) a few days later the laptop would not work with the battery plugged in.  That is, it will ONLY  work if the AC is plugged in and the battery is out.  Once the battery goes in, it dies.

So question 1: Do you think part of the board was fried or somehow just the network adapter?

2: Why would the battery do this?

I bought a new cable for the LCD and it worked just fine... until the wire wore because I didn't bother to route it correctly and a couple of the tiny wires became exposed.  It made a burning smell lol.  The LCD was again dead.  I bought a new cable and I got backlight but no display (I tried all the settings for display options as far as I know).  I bought ANOTHER LCD cable to make sure that wasn't a bad one and it does the same thing (backlight but no signal or display).  I CAN still use the VGA output to my TV or a desktop monitor.

So question 3: Did the wire short in the LCD cable kill my new LCD panel or once again part of the motherboard or video card? (It's NOT the cable).

I should also mention that everything else including all ports work fine.  I also ran the DELL diagnostics and came up with nothing. 

Thanks for any help!!

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 22:00

Really?  No direct input at all?  One meager guess.  Guess that's why they say don't buy Dell.

3.8K Posts

Hi,

I dont understand why this is Dell's fault, as you have not followed the safety precautions before operating your computer. The first thing you do before opening the laptop is remove the battery and AC adapter. You have shot the LCD by not removing the battery. Following the user manual to replace the LCD would have avoided this issue. The reason why I say LCD, is because the Diagnostics Passed, it works fine on an external monitor, and you said that while replacing the LCD, you did not replace them correctly, as there were wires exposed, this could have damaged your motherboard as well.

support.dell.com/.../display.htm

Thank you.

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you have display on an external monitor then the LCD is probably faulty.

Thank you.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 23:00

I didn't say the computer damage was Dell's fault if you bothered to read my post.  The lack of any product support whatsoever as proven thus far by YOU and this community is where Dell fails miserably and is rapidly gaining a very negative rapport in the retail community.  Go to any Best Buy as a nondescript customer and ask their opinion on Dell's support.  Zero to none.  Customer loyalty is even worse than Acer!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2013 03:00

It is likely the LCD has been damaged - however, it's not certain.  You could well find out the mainboard was damaged as well.  Electrical shorts can cause damage at more than one point in the system.

There's no way to know without replacing parts - though if you really have to replace the screen and mainboard, you may find it less expensive to replace the system.

No Events found!