Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2011 14:00

Dell Inspiron N5030 Integrated Webcam

Recently purchased Inspiron N5030 brand new from Dell... the webcam has never worked... is listed as a 'unknown device' under

the imaging devices in device manager... have tried re-installing the driver... have googled for answers, one suggesting installing

the 'webcam central 2.0 which i did with no luck...

It has become obvious to me that there is a known issue with the many inquiries i have seen on the web regarding this failure.

My son attempted the undaunting task of using the technical support via phone... their means to an end was to re-install the OS.

Now, I do not profess to be a computer wiz by no means, but this 'just re-install' solution just kinda un-nerves me...

Can anyone help...??

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 13:00

hojo5150

I am sorry to hear that you are having these difficulties with the webcam.  The webcam should have native drivers built into Windows 7.  Although it doesn’t need any additional drivers, if you have not already have it installed I do suggest installing Webcam Central.  Here is a link to a basic Webcam troubleshooter that gives instructions on how to install Webcam Central

support.dell.com/.../document

Navigate to the Dell Support Website

Click My Account in the upper right corner and sign in with your Dell My Account in the popup box provided.

Under the My Software section on the right side of the page, click "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)".

Click the checkbox that agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the My Dell Downloads website and click Register System at the bottom of the page

Note:  

This registration requires a download and scan of your Dell system that is only functional with Internet Explorer. It will not function on Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. This scan can take up to five minutes  

At the My Download Locker page, click the registered system that corresponds with the computer you are downloading Webcam Central to.

Under the Title section, look for Dell Webcam Central. There may be more than one listing for this software title.

Select the listing with the latest version number in the Version column. Click the checkbox under the Download column for this software, and at the bottom of the page click Download Now.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Since the webcam is not fully detected in device manger then they may well be Windows corruption.

Click Start

Right-Click Computer

Click Properties

Click Device Manager on the left hand side

Click imaging devices

Right-click the integrated webcam

Click Uninstall

Follow the prompts to continue to uninstall the Driver.

Once uninstalled restart the computer

If you have not tried this before give it a go and see if Windows detects the Webcam correctly.  

If both fail the reinstalling Windows is not a bad call.  Running PC restore is fairly quick, please back up your data before attempting PC restore.

If PC restore failed to help then I suggest having the web camera replaced.

TB

May 25th, 2011 20:00

There is some database maintenence going on with DELL, So please try after 3BDays it sould be working fine for you

Try to install the Dell Webcam Central given for you own computer, by registering with My Dell Downloads..

If this does not work then ultimate solution would be to Reinstall the OS.. or to do a Factory Restore..

3 Posts

hey terry... thank you for your reply to my problem...

i can pretty much say that i have performed the steps in one fashion or another similar to what you are asking that i perform

however, i will repeat using the resources you have listed... see where this leads me and will take notes here in this email
as i go along...

i did "Navigate to the Dell Support Website" and un-installed the webcam from Device Manager, rebooted laptop, however,
the hardware device (webcam)  did not attempt to re-install...

i moved on to "
Click My Account in the upper right corner and sign in with your Dell My Account in the popup box provided.
Under the My Software section on the right side of the page, click "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)".
Click the checkbox that agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the My Dell Downloads website and click Register System at the bottom of the page
Note:  
This registration requires a download and scan of your Dell system that is only functional with Internet Explorer. It will not function on Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. This scan can take up to five minutes"

this failed consistently (about 7-8 times) with...

Error

An Application error has occurred. Please contact customer support if this problem persists.

I will be attempting what I tried the other night going thru someone else's thread in the Dell Community
If there is something else you think i could try, I will be happy to... I want re-install of the OS to be the
last resort... but I will go ahead and ask, what are the steps that Dell would recommend I follow to complete
a re-install of the OS...??

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 26th, 2011 10:00

hojo5150

I don't suggest running off and reinstalling Windows yet.  Certainly Windows corruption can be causing the problem with the webcam, I am not sure that we are there yet.  Regarding the problem with downloading webcam central, what web browser are you using?  If you were not using internet explorer please do so and see if you are more successful.

As far as reinstalling Windows, the following link gives more details on reinstalling Windows.  

Running PC restore is probably the easiest method, it is automated and usually takes about a half hour to complete.  You will need to back up your data before attempting.  

TB

1 Message

November 13th, 2011 21:00

i bought a dell laptop n5030 inspiron but i'm unable to take photoes and videos. what should i do?

No Events found!