Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2013 20:00

Dell Inspiron N5110: Webcam and Mic Not Found

I bought a Dell Inspiron N5110 back in 2011 (it's out of warranty), and from day one, I have never been able to get the internal mic or webcam to work. I've always just assumed that I'd get around to fixing it eventually, but...  I'm really beginning to need it now, and after weeks and weeks of scouring the web and finding only useless information, I thought I'd just start a new thread.

What's Wrong:

- The mic does not react whatsoever to noise (the green bar doesn't fluctuate with external sound)

- Dell Webcam Central says that "No supported webcam [is] connected"

- Dell PC Diagnostics says that "The applicable device does not exist"

- Neither the mic nor the webcam are appearing in Device Manager

Yes,

- I've made sure the mic is enabled

- I've made sure that I've downloaded all of the prescribed drivers (in the correct order)

- I've uninstalled and reinstalled Dell Webcam Central

- I've tried every weird, off-the-wall, forum idea I could find

... Nothing works. The only thing that strikes me as odd in conjunction with this is that I get a randomly appearing error message from the taskbar telling me that a "USB Device [Is] Not Recognized". I read somewhere that this could have something to do with the webcam error, but I don't know. If it was under warranty, I'd just bite the bullet and send it in for repairs, but I don't have that kind of money right now... surely there's something I can do on my own?

I will give you my first born male child if you help me figure this out.

750 Posts

July 14th, 2013 06:00

Hi bechkafish,

We regret the inconvenience caused. Based on the detailed description that you have provided, the issue appears to be hardware related. Camera module with microphone has to be replaced.

Since the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our expired warranty services to purchase/replace the compatible parts. Please refer the following link that has contact details for our Expired Warranty Services: http://dell.to/14FoBtb

September 1st, 2013 01:00

BECHKAFISH, same story here ... mine actually worked for a while while I had an interest in Skype. Some months later (whilst still in warranty) I tried the Skype again and no onboard camera. Not being an urgent issue I left it and then forgot about it until a month or so ago when I tried to access a Skype conference, no webcam (and no well out of warranty). For this hardware to fail this easily with little or no use is a testament to the quality of the product in the first instance.

September 4th, 2013 15:00

Hi Peter, A software glitch was my initial thought and the reason I wasn't concerned at the time. However, I have since done a complete system reinstall and the webcam is still not detected. Without doubt, this is a hardware failure and probably something that Dell has chosen to keep 'schtum' about.

1 Message

September 4th, 2013 15:00

I seem to have joined those who are seeing that their webcam is apparently no longer functioning.  Very disappointing if this is the case - although I suspect maybe there's a software glitch somewhere?

No Events found!