Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2013 07:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 no display

Hi, I need help.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 with i5 processor.  The computer had a strange display problem.  When I start the computer, the power comes on, and the screen briefly comes on and then shuts off.  I tried to use D+power to see if there is any problem.  All the lights and colors are correct and then when the display check up complete, the screen shuts off while the computer starts up.  I connected the computer to an external monitor and it appears everything was normal.  Just to be sure, I reset my BIOS and still nothing happens.  So what is the problem of my display not coming up?

Please help.  Thanks.

T

1.3K Posts

January 15th, 2013 04:00

Hi Tryandtry,

This could be a faulty LCD or an LCD cable. Kindly provide me the system service tag through a private message so that I can check the system details and advice further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2013 14:00

Sorry, I disagree with you.  If LCD or LCD is faulty, my screen test should show nothing as well.  I am thinking more towards the inverter or the lid close switch.  Do you know where the lid close switch is?

Thanks.

T

1.3K Posts

January 16th, 2013 04:00

Hi Tryandtry ,

Only few Dell models have a separate part number for the LCD inverter and this model does not have a separate part number ,it is a part of the LCD.

Kindly find the below link which has instructions on LCD panel removal.

http://dell.to/W00moT

4 Posts

January 16th, 2013 07:00

If that is the case, the LCD panel was just replaced, so it should not be the inverter problem then.

Thanks.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2013 08:00

BTW, my computer does not respond to the close lid/shut off.  So could it be the magnet problem?

1.3K Posts

January 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Tryandtry,

Kindly provide the system service tag through a private message so that I can check the system details and assist further.

1 Message

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Hello, I have an Inspiron N5110 also and the screen backlight is off. 

Since the inverter is part of the LCD the problem may be the cable or the same LCD.

How do you know which one is the culprit?

4 Posts

April 15th, 2015 19:00

I am having this same issue ... I'm not sure what to do as I have replaced the screen and have the same issue (I can see the images of the desktop but it is not lit up - if I plug in to an external monitor, it works fine (the external monitor, not the laptop monitor). .. so what could it be now?  Is it the cable?

4 Posts

April 26th, 2015 09:00

Did you ever fix this?  I have replaced the screen and the cable - still nothing.  I am thinking it may be the switch but don't see how to "correct" the issue ...

• 

3.3K Posts

April 26th, 2015 11:00

Hi callyon,

May I know if you are getting display on the external monitor? Run diagnostics by Pressing FN + power button and check if there is any error message.

If there is no display with replaced monitor & cable, the issue could be with the video card or motherboard. If the system is out of warranty, let me know the region you belong to, I will check the options to get the system serviced for a charge.

Awaiting your reply.

4 Posts

April 26th, 2015 14:00

External display is working no issues at all ... the laptop screen is not.  No issues found when running the diagnostics that you mention.

I have already replaced the motherboard (that was what I initially replaced) - once it was replaced the screen didn't work after.  I have already checked the cables and all are soundly placed (multiple times).  Also replaced the screen then the cable - still nothing.

I've seen on here about the lid issue but no one seems to say anything about it after - just "where is the magnet" - I know where that is but I have no idea what to do about it...

• 

3.3K Posts

April 26th, 2015 21:00

Hi Callyon,

Thank you for the update.

In this scenario, I suggest that you get it checked by a technician. You may try with a local technician or let me know the region, I will check the options to get it serviced.

No Events found!