Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 15:00

Dell Inspiron b130

The problem i am having is i cannot boot to my OS all of a sudden it just stops at a screen with an error that says

Unmountable Boot Volume

Any ideas the laptop is about 3 years old but was working fine and all of a sudden i got this also it does seem to be running very hot on the bottom.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It is almost certainly a failed hard drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The hard drive has failed. To confirm, power on, press F12, and load the Dell diagnostic partition. Run an extended test of the hard drive (it'll test the fan as well -- if the fan isn't working and the system overheated, that can easily destroy the hard drive in short order).

7 Posts

would it be worth fixing or just buy a new laptop since it is 3 years old

7 Posts

Right now we are running the test cannot boot to os and it is checking all the possible symptoms we will try the extended test after any other thing it could be besides that also if we put in the cd and restart from scratch will that help or not

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's just a hard drive, it's well worth fixing; they're inexpensive to replace (from $50 or so for an 80G 5400 rpm drive).

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 16:00

should i get the hard drive from dell or just buy one from a retailer

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You can buy any 2.5", 9.5 mm EIDE drive, 120 G or smaller wherever you wish - Dell's prices are often higher than newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com

If you buy from Dell, do not buy a "Refurbished" drive - you won't get the full warranty on it.

7 Posts

does dell have to do it or can i have a qualified computer tech install it what is the cheapest way to go about it i know a few people that own computer repair businesses

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Installing the drive is trivial; you then have to reload the operating system, which is tedious and time consuming but not difficult.

7 Posts

thanks for all your help very much appreciated when i replace the hard drive should that fix the whole issue or did something else cause it to fail it seems the fans are fine but when i had the laptop on i felt where the hard drive was an it was extremely hot so that probably explains why it failed

7 Posts

if you have never taken a laptop apart should you try to do it yourself or just have a computer tech do it what is all involved i know in a desktop it is easy but laptops are harder to work on

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/sm/hdd.htm#wp1084976

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 06:00

Grab your data before you dump the drive. This can help you save a few bucks. Give this a shot: http://www.5starsupport.com/xp-faq/1-7.htm I got the same message on my Inspiron 8600 and Dell did replace my HD which was under warranty. However, you are on your own regarding your data, and tech support won't tell you how to do the above. Microsoft's site is a joke on this issue as well. They tell you to setup 6 boot DISKS. Who the heck has a floppy drive nowadays!! After following those instructions in the above link, I was about to download all my data from the defective hard drive. After fixing this, my advice is to buy a new hard drive. You don't want to play around with your data my friend!!! Good luck!!!
No Events found!