Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2012 05:00

Dell Inspiron built-in mouse not working

Hi. I have problem with my built in mouse, can't click any of its buttons. I can still use the pad to move the cursor and click. Any help on how i can fix this? could that be a hardware or software issue?

Thanx.

4.4K Posts

January 14th, 2012 14:00

The touchpad could be going bad.  If this is the case, then you will need a new palmrest assembly.

Sometimes there is a setting in the touchpad software that you can turn off the touchpad buttons.  Go into your mouse/touchpad settings and see if there is something like this in your software.

1 Message

January 14th, 2012 19:00

I am having exactly the same problem.  Please post if you find out how to fix.  Thanks

4.4K Posts

January 14th, 2012 20:00

Yeah, but that setting simple enables or disables the whole of the touchpad. But, in my case, the touch pad, as i said, i can use to move the cursor around and click by tapping on it. Its the buttons of the touchpad that i cant click.

Depending on your touchpad software, you may have both.  Here is a snapshot of my  touchpad software.

On this screen, I have the ability to turn the touchpad on/off.  I get to this section by clicking on the "Sensitivity" button on the left.

By clicking on the "Button" button on the left, I can turn on/off the Touchpad Buttons.

You can click on the image for a larger view.

Your software may not be like mine but I wanted to bring it to your attention.  If for some reason the buttons were turned off, you could fix it.

Otherwise, you will probably have to replace the palmrest.

3 Posts

Yeah sure. You too, don't forget me :)

3 Posts

Yeah, but that setting simple enables or disables the whole of the touchpad. But, in my case, the touch pad, as i said, i can use to move the cursor around and click by tapping on it. Its the buttons of the touchpad that i cant click.

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 08:00

i have tried to adjust the sensitivity on the click pad but that does not help. i can still click but the tap to click no longer registers. I have to hold it to get it to work. If the touch pad is going bad what is the cheapest route to take to replace it? the warranty has expired on the laptop that i have so i know it would cost to send it in and get it replaced. I also need a new screen because mine is cracked but it is not doing the black thing most cracked screens do so i can see it fine so not worried about replacing that yet.

No Events found!