Highlighted
MPCS
Bronze

Dell Inspiron n5110 - 8 beeps on start up

I have a Inspiron N5110 which beeps 8 times on start up and nothing comes up on the display, external monitor works fine.  I replaced the lcd and the same thing.  Is there sometining else I should be looking at??

Tags (2)
71 Replies
Bay Wolf
Diamond

Re: Dell Inspiron n5110 - 8 beeps on start up

Eight beeps means a display failure.

Since the external monitor works, you know it's not a fault with the video card.

With the notebook off, hold down the "D" key and power the notebook on.  If you get solid colors on the screen, then you know the LCD is good.  I would look for a problem with the video cable.  Just resently, someone found that the front bezel was creating a problem with the video cable.

Forum Member since 2000

Please share your experience with the forum.

0 Kudos
serendipty
Copper

I encountered the same issue.  The laptop had fallen from a table approximately 2-feet above the floor.  Upon subsequently attempting to start the N5110 Dell laptop, I saw a white screen and heard 8 beeps.  The screen did not change from all-white, and the beeps would resume approximately every 15-seconds.

My solution was to open the computer so that I could see the motherboard.  Watch any of a number of videos on youtube for guidance if you are unfamiliar with the technique for properly disassembling and reassembling the N5110 chassis.  I removed the CMOS battery from its case on the left-front of the motherboard, After a minute I placed the same battery back into the socket.  Taking care to reconnect the three electrical ribbons that run from the motherboard to the keyboard, the battery was replaced and the start button was pushed. 

A boot notice appeared on the screen that the computer had been improperly shut-down, and I had the option of restoring to a previous point, or starting Windows normally.  I selected the normal start, and after a longer than usual boot, the laptop returned to full functioning.

I don't know if the ol' CMOS battery trick will work in all instances of the dreaded 8-beep error, but pulling the battery and replacing it causes the system to perform a power reset.  I wish you similar success should you encounter this issue.

0 Kudos
joeinopks
Copper

Good info from Serendipity. Tried it, but without removing the CMOS battery; had option to 'repair' or 'boot normally', and I selected 'boot normally'; the Dell Inspiron N5110 booted successfully and the 8 beeps stopped. I must say I tried a boot repair first, but that was not successful; I did a cold reboot. The successful boot was my second attempt.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
T.bloshi
Copper

I Broke the laptop screen and after i raplease it there is no screen and no display at all what shoud i do to fix it my laptop is N5110 Dell inspiron

0 Kudos
balkeet
Bronze

Nvidia has released the 600m gpu series,will dell upgrade 15r with 635gpu in comin days??

0 Kudos

Hi Joeinopks I have just face the same problem. White display 8 short beep Can you direct me for a solution? Not an expert Thanks in advance Gur
0 Kudos
alfawnowt
Copper

Had a similar problem after dropping the laptop fitted new screen then on boot up white screen 8 beeps repeated several times.

I removed key pad and top cover and discovered that the drop had damaged the screen but had also disslodged the tape conector to the screen under top left

of key pad pushed conector home all ok.

Hope this may help you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alfawnowt
Copper

Remove key pad and top cover check tape connector under top left of key pad

My Inspiron 15 M5030 beeps 8 times then stops briefly and does it again endlessly. How can I solve this problem?
0 Kudos