Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2013 16:00

Dell Insprion 7520 high Intel PCH temp and high RPM of CPU fan

Hello Guys!

I need some help in connection with my new Inspiron 7520 notebook:

I have bought it a few days ago, i have installed Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and i have some strange things:

1. First of all: the temperature of Intel PCH. I am not sure what is the correct or normal value of it. I downloaded HWiNFO, and if i see sensor status everything seems like ok, but INTEL PCH is always above 65 celsius, sometimes it goes up 75. Is it normal?
  2. Second: Many people mentioned in the forum, they had problem with cpu fan, and i have same too. The avarege CPU usage is less than 10%, and its avarage temp is 49 celsius degree, and the cpu fan operates 4600 RPM. I installed all driver in the right order, this is a new laptop and it should not be cleaned CPU fan ventillate, i updated BIOS to A10. Have you any idea what causes this "problem"? Or is it normal also? :D

Thank you for help and advices!

Norbert

2K Posts

July 29th, 2013 04:00

Hi Norbert,

I will be glad to help you. I assume that the computer is placed on a flat surface. You may then use the below link and run hardware diagnostics:

http://dell.to/YQ0c54

Also let me know if the computer overheats.

You may then check the warranty status of the computer using the below link:

http://dell.to/12Bz4Il

Do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what best can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2013 14:00

I hope that this post will be useful for people wondering why is their Dell 15R SE fan suddenly becoming loud sometimes and why this problem affects some people, while others never / rarely notices it. Especially since it's rather common.

For the past two days I did quite a lot of searching in Google and testing on my laptop to figure out, why is the fan so loud so often. It turns out that PCH temperature is a reason for it.
While fan speed is slowly increasing as the CPU temperature is growing, it's not the case with the PCH. I'm not sure why (I guess either lazy coding, or technical limitations) but something (BIOS or drivers) that is controlling fan speed is programmed to:
- force at least ~4500RPM as soon as PCH temperature goes over 67 °C
- stop forcing it when temperature goes below 65 °C

Not everyone experiences this loud fan problem, because PCH, among other things, is responsible for display (as you can see here) and thus its temperature is related to display resolution. For people with Full HD display this problem may happen from time to time, especially under heavy CPU/GPU load, on hot days or when their laptop has a lot of dust, but if someone has a display with 1366x768 resolution PCH temperature is way too low to trigger it. Unless external monitor is connected... which rises total resolution and makes PCH temperature noticeably higher. It was also the reason why it happened so often to me, as I'm often using 1680x1050 monitor in extended desktop mode and my laptop display has a Full HD resolution.

DELL can fix this problem or make is less annoying by increasing PCH temperature limit when high fan speed kicks in (if it's safe) or by making fan speed increase smoothly, as it's doing now with CPU temperature (if it's possible). Users can make it happens less often by keeping their laptop clean and using a cooling pad.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2013 03:00

hi Dathen,

Thank you for your message.

I agree with you.

From day 1 the fan has been on full blast most of the time (more then
90% of the time), even when the machine is idle. The problem appears to
be related or aggravated by having a second screen attached and enabled.
When displaying on one screen only (either the first or second) the fan
is much quieter.

Also, with two screens enabled, and the fan on full blast, the moment
you "blank" the screens (say by calling "scrnsave.scr /s" or similar),
the fan stops. When switching the screens back on (just move the mouse),
after a few moments the fan is on full blast again.

regards,

k.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

Hello Kiran!

Thank you very much for the answer. I have called your support via phone, and your collegau told me some todos, that could be useful.

I have done it, and it seems like everything is fine and i am able to enjoy my new notebook at all! :)

Norbert

2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 19:00

Hi Norbert,

It is good to know that the issue is fixed. If you have any issues/ questions in future do send me a message or you may start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2013 16:00

birolacy, I'm facing exactly the same problem as you (although I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit). Same PCH temperatures and same problem with CPU fan running at 4600 RPM most of the time despite similar CPU temperature (also updated to latest BIOS version). Could you write steps that you followed to fix this issue?

2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 00:00

Hi Dathen,

Request you try the steps mentioned by me in my previous responses apart from BIOS update (as it is already done). If any of the steps don’t work then you may check the warranty status and follow the instructions mentioned by me in my first response.

Also let me know if the computer overheats.

4 Posts

August 9th, 2013 01:00

Hello Dathen,

After speaking Dell Support via phone i did the following steps:

1.) BIOS UPDATE

2.) Install all drivers in the righ order, you can find information if you see the link below:

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

Aftter doing that it seems work everything fine, altough because of I7 processor the cpu fan runs very often!

4 Posts

August 10th, 2013 15:00

I also made a chart with some stress testing at the beginning, to illustrate this issue - you can see it here. Also with cpu usage.

birolacy, our i7 is a CPU with lowered TDP so we should expect it to generate less heat than regular mobile i7 :) . And it is nice and cold, only PCH temperature is a problem when using high resolutions...

4 Posts

August 11th, 2013 04:00

Hello Dathen,

I am very thankful to share your experiences in connecion with this issue!  I try to expect this fact. If i buy a laptop coolerpad i hope that this "problem" will be less embarassing,

birolacy

2 Posts

August 14th, 2013 13:00

Hello. I've just bought 7520 model with Ubuntu aboard also and seems  have the same problem (irritating fan noise even during idle or minimal usage).

Hardware diagnostics was passed successfully, but I have 4500-4600 RPM whole the time, even just after the power on.

CPU Therm sensor in idle shows 60 C, 76 C was the highest value during PSA tests.

BIOS version is A09

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 18:00

Hi SergiiR,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system to A10 version using the link below which should fix the issue.

http://dell.to/1a6i6Hn

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

August 29th, 2013 04:00

I decided to don't take a risk updating bios. A had a strange situation next day (the second day from the buying) - the temperature environment was the same, but the fun system behavior changed - became more adequate   - it looks like a car engine break-in - you have to pass some distance to make engine details fitted . Yes, I still have noise fan system sometimes, but now it can turn fans on and off depending on system load. Also I had Ubuntu updated to 12.10 before - not sure, but may be something changed with it also. 

No Events found!