Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2012 01:00

Dell Latitude D620 Overheating

I recently had to rip this laptop apart clean the cpu fan because it was stuck by a piece of lint, Anyway, when i had it apart, i unplugged the cmos battery because it was easier when dissembling it. My problem now is that the fan wont come on at all and the bios has no options for its thermal settings. NOTE-- The fan does NOT come on AT ALL, however, when i try to run the diagnostics, the fan comes on and runs when i test it for overheating/fan. I currently have a spare server fan forcing air into the back of it to stop it from overheating but its a temp fix. any help would be appreciated 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 4th, 2012 04:00

Sounds likely you damaged or destroyed a temperature sensor in your disassembly attempt.  It's likely the only real solution is to replace the system board.

9 Posts

May 13th, 2012 08:00

Hi !

I think I have a similar problem, my D620 runs very slow (albeit stable) and upon listening I realized the fan do not spin up anymore.

I was wondering what diagnostics you've ran to make you fan spin, the ones included in the Bios, other diagnostic utilities from dell website or some third party ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2012 08:00

The Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup -- will test the operation of the fan.

No Events found!