Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2015 09:00

Dell M3800 Cannot Connect to 5Ghz Wireless Network

My Dell M3800 cannot connect to a 5GHz Wireless Network.  Any thoughts?  It says I have the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card.  I have a tablet with the same card and it connects fine.  It does say the driver is from 2013 and there is not an updated one from the dell download center.  Is this only a single band card?

1.8K Posts

June 5th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

The Intel 7260 handles both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz band connections.  Here is a link to the Intel Downloads page for the 7260.   You don't mention whether the system is running Win 7 or Win 8, but there are links on that page for both versions of the driver.  The drivers appear to be from April of this year, and are the 17.X version, which I've seen others have good success with.

If that doesn't help, some basic questions.   Does the card see the 5.0 GHz networks at all?  You say it can't connect so I'm going to assume it sees the network but won't connect.  With that network, is the router firmware up to date?   ((Is your tablet running the same OS as the M3800?))

Try the driver first and see if that helps.  Pretty good chance that it will resolve whatever the problem is.  If it doesn't, then we'll go deeper into troubleshooting for you.

Todd

June 12th, 2015 13:00

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply.  

Here is what I currently understand:

1) Other devices in my network can connect to the 5GHZ network without issue

2) My Dell Venue Pro tablet connects to the 5GhZ  network without issue

3)  The M3800 has beeen upgraded to the latest drivers ,  per your suggestion

3a) the M3800 can see the 5GHz network

3b) when I try to connect to the the 5Ghg network, there is a long delay, and it connects to the wireless but it does not connect to the internet

3c)  I have went through and verified that the driver settings are the same between the two computers with the same network card.

3d) Interestingly enough, when I try to log in to the web based console on the 5GHz with the tablet via the web browser, it will not let me connect.  Go figure.

Any thoughts?

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply.  

Here is what I currently understand:

1) Other devices in my network can connect to the 5GHZ network without issue

2) My Dell Venue Pro tablet connects to the 5GhZ  network without issue

3)  The M3800 has beeen upgraded to the latest drivers ,  per your suggestion

3a) the M3800 can see the 5GHz network

3b) when I try to connect to the the 5Ghg network, there is a long delay, and it connects to the wireless but it does not connect to the internet

3c)  I have went through and verified that the driver settings are the same between the two computers with the same network card.

3d) Interestingly enough, when I try to log in to the web based console on the 5GHz with the tablet via the web browser, it will not let me connect.  Go figure.

3e)  The connection with the tablet is spotty

Any thoughts?

p.s. I'm using Windows 7 on the PC and Windows 8 on the tablet.

No Events found!