Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2012 12:00

Dell N5010 inspiron Battery (plugged in , not charging)

I am using a 9 cell battery for my lap top, I get this message when I place my cursor over the battery icon in task box ,55% available (plugged in , not charging),

the customer service asked me to do a number of tests and also upgraded my bios,i also performed the express set up, I feel thebattery  connector within my laptop is faulty . this has not resolved my issue. By the way its only 10 daays left for my warrenty to expire.

85 Posts

June 20th, 2012 12:00

Hello vu22rps,

If you have updated the BIOS on the computer and if you are still facing the issue, I would suggest you to contact Tech support again as it could be an issue with the Adapter or the Adapter Port itself.

Since it is under warranty Tech support will replace the necessary parts.

18 Posts

June 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

This issue can be caused by both hardware or software issues, the following steps may help you to resolve the issue:

1. Disconnect all peripherals and confirm if system is working fine with AC Adapter only. If no, follow No Power T/s. Else, follow next step.

2. Remove AC adapter, Battery and drain flea power. If not resolved, follow next step.

3. Check the AC Adapter status in the BIOS. If AC Adapter status shows Unknown / Not Detected you may have replace the AC Adapter.

4. Try charging the battery with the notebook turned off.

5. Check the Battery charge/health gauge located on the battery. (Check by pressing and holding the status button)

If the above indicate that the battery and AC Adapter are alright, the issue may be with the Motherboard/DC-In port.

Thanks,

Rishi

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

21 Posts

July 27th, 2012 21:00

I just found out that if you are trying to use a 'knock off' or generic battery instead of a Dell battery, N5110 will notify you that it does not recognize the battery and will not charge, therefore I am assuming that the N5010 has the same issue. I am researching if I can reconfig it in order to use a generic battery.

1 Message

September 5th, 2013 20:00

Please let me know what you find because I am having the same issue.  I have owned 10 laptops and this is the ONLY computer I have ever had this issue with.  Bummed...

21 Posts

September 5th, 2013 21:00

Turns out the battery I brought thru ebay was a Chinese knock off and the DELL laptop only recognizes DELL batteries just like their ink cartridges. Live and learn .... :emotion-9: 

No Events found!