Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 8th, 2012 16:00

Dell N5040 - 8 beeps

my Dell N5040 is beeping 8 times (3 times) before start-up

Somethings it starts, sometimes it doesn't

somethings it keeps beeping 8 times over and over and over. (very softly)

Please help, I have not had this for very long.

1.8K Posts

November 8th, 2012 16:00

Hi,

8 beeps on Inspiron N5040 indicates the system board failure. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information.

January 16th, 2013 14:00

I am having the same issues.  Just the beeps and a blank screen.  :(

4.4K Posts

January 16th, 2013 21:00

Hi  TannerFamily,

Welcome to the Community,

Beep codes as suggested above can be used as diagnostic indicator.

Could you confirm the number of beeps you hear?

Thank You

January 17th, 2013 06:00

Now, I can't get the beep to reproduce.  At this time, I can hear the fan come on but the screen is completely blank and nothing else happens.  I believe there were 3 short beeps that happened several times before they stopped.  This was an issue last month but after I played with it a while, reseating the battery, it stopped and seemed to work fine.  This time, it appears completely non-functional.  '

If there is anything else I can try, I would definitely appreciate the assistance.

4.4K Posts

January 17th, 2013 23:00

Hi  TannerFamily,

3 beeps indicates system board failure,may be your system was showing signs of failing system board .However if the power led on the system stays on(solid white) and the fan keeps running while the screen is blank ,try connecting an external monitor  and check if you get display on the external monitor.

If there is no display on the external monitor then to isolate the problem your system needs to be checked physically by a service technician.

Is your system within warranty?

Thank You

1 Message

February 2nd, 2013 22:00

even i got the same 8 beep problem..

wen connected to external monitor i get weird screen display..

i've checked the ram bt ram wrks gud in other laptop...

plz help me out..

4.4K Posts

February 5th, 2013 00:00

Hi shravanvarma,

Welcome to the Community,

Beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator.The computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the LCD cannot display errors or problems.

8 beeps on system model Inspiron N5040 indicates LCD failure.In this case  you may first try to reseat (disconnect and reconnect) the LCD/Display cable and check for damage on the LCD/Display cable.If reseating the LCD cable does not help and since you're getting display on the external monitor(which suggest the graphics card is working) you may need to replace the LCD screen.

For steps to remove /replace display assembly refer to this link from Owners Manual:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Is your system within warranty?

Thank You

No Events found!