Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2012 06:00

Dell Studio 1558 won't start

Previously my laptop was working fine and then it suddenly start turning off suddenly. I thought it was a power cable or battery problem but it was not. I found that the laptop was heating. So I cleaned the heat sink but the problem existed. Then I removed one of the RAM from the laptop and the problem wen't away. So I thought it was a faulty RAM causing the problem so I replaced it.

After replacing the RAM, laptop started working properly for a 2 weeks. Now again I am into the same trouble. My laptop just turned off randomly yesterday and it won't turn on now. When I press the power button, the power LED would just blink once and nothing would happen. 

If you keep pressing on the power button, the power led would just keep on blinking white and nothing would happen. I tried this with both just the AC adapter and just the battery. So power does not seems to be the issue.

Can somebody narrow down the problem for me. I would appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks

2.6K Posts

September 25th, 2012 23:00

Hello Viral,

I would suggest few steps to isolate the issue.
Please remove the memory sticks and try to turn on the computer and check if you get any beeps. Ensure to shut down the computer and disconnect the battery and ac adapter before removing the memory modules.

-- Remove the Base Cover. 

-- Pull the two retainer clips slightly outward.

-- Pull the memory module straight out of the socket. 

If the computer beeps without any memory module, i would suggest you to try with the old memory sticks.
I would also request you to try booting the computer with one memory module at a time.

Please write back to us with the results, would be glad to assist you further. 

2 Posts

September 26th, 2012 06:00

Hi Allan, thanks for the quick response. I tried booting with the memory modules. It didn't boot. Then I removed one of them and then both of them. It didn't boot in both cases. And it does not beeps too. It's really weird that it is not beeping without any memory modules. All it does is that when I press the power button, the power led light blinks once and then goes away. If I keep on pressing the power button, the led light would keep on blinking and nothing would happen. No beeps, no hard drive noise or not even the cpu fan runs.  Is it that the motherboard is not working. I hear some clicking noise from the Intel mobile chipset ( PCH BD82HM55 ) , the sound is very low but I don't know if that is normal behavior. That is the only sound I can hear.

2.6K Posts

September 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi Viral,

Really appreciate the  fact that you performed the trouble shooting steps and helped in isolating the issue.
No beeps from the motherboard when the memory sticks are removed, means a faulty motherboard.
If the computer has an active warranty, , I’d request you to private message me the system service tag number. To private message, click on my user name and click start conversation. 
I’d be glad to assist you further and let you know the next course of action.

4 Posts

November 21st, 2012 07:00

Hi Allan,

I'm have the same problem as Viral. Do you have any idea what the problem can be.

Tanks

2.6K Posts

November 21st, 2012 08:00

Hello Arie,

To understand the issue and assist you further, please help me with some information. 

-- What is the system model?
-- Were there any recent hardware or software  changes?
-- What is the status of the power LED?
-- Do you get any beeps from the computer?
-- Did you tried the steps mentioned on the previous post?

Please write back with the details,would be glad to assist further. 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 14:00

Hello Allan,

Tanks for the quick response. I have a dell studio 1558 model pp39L. There have been no changes to the hardware and software. The computer don't give any beeps also when i take out the memory modules. When i turn the pc on de led flash. The problem starts when i was gaming.

2.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Since you have stated that there are no beeps after removing all the memory modules from the computer, it means the motherboard is faulty and needs a replacement.

Does the computer have an active warranty? You can check the warranty status here. In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Please write back if you have any further questions. 

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hello Allan,

I have disassembled the laptop checked the fan replace thermal paste and reassembled the laptop. I can now turn the laptop on and stay but when i'm gaming the laptop crash and won't get on the first hours.

Is it possible that the cooling of the graphic card can be the problem.

2.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Well, since the computer is powering on and its crashing while playing games as you have mentioned, I would suggest a couple of steps. 

1. Run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics
Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. If the test passes on all the hardware components, follow the next step.

2. Update BIOS to the latest version. 

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Please try the steps and check the functionality. Write back to us if you have any further questions.  

April 22nd, 2013 05:00

hi allan,

i too have the same problem. i contacted dell, they suggested me to replace the motherboard but due to the part unavailability, dey cannot replace it. so i replaced in the outside service center but the problem is not solved.

pls help..

No Events found!