Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2010 08:00

Dell Vostro 1710 NVIDIA video driver for Windows 7 64 bit

Hello.

I have a Dell Vostro 1710,

I installed Windows 7 64 Bit and i'm having trouble finding the right video driver for my NVIDIA 8600 M GS. Dell Support recommends to install the Vista 32 bit video driver. I tried that, but the driver won't install, it says something that my OS isn't Vista. The driver version is this one: v 7.15.11.7597 / 24.06.2008 (R189832)

The NVIDIA official driver for 8600 M GS (v 179.48) for Windows 7 64 bits does not offer suport to Dell Vostro laptops and send me to manufacturer for drivers. I installed it anyway, but my system won't even start (I had to restore it).

Please help me with any kind of solution or sugestion.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 4th, 2010 10:00

Edit your post and remove the tag. That's not allowed on this user to user forum.  You can never use a 32 bit driver with 64 bit windows. You can only use the 32 bit driver with 32 bit windows 7--and sometimes that doesn't even work. Did you allow Windows 7 to find a compatible driver? Is the video card working now?  If it works with win 7, don't change the driver. You should have installed the 32 bit Win 7 for compatibility.

4 Posts

October 4th, 2010 11:00

Edit your post and remove the tag. That's not allowed on this user to user forum.  You can never use a 32 bit driver with 64 bit windows. You can only use the 32 bit driver with 32 bit windows 7--and sometimes that doesn't even work. Did you allow Windows 7 to find a compatible driver? Is the video card working now?  If it works with win 7, don't change the driver. You should have installed the 32 bit Win 7 for compatibility.

I edited the post and removed the tag.

Sometimes 32 bit programs work on 64 bit OS so i thought drivers might as well work. Dell Support didn't gave me other choice, no driver for 64 bit OS :(

Windows 7 didn't find a compatible driver (the video card is working, but it uses a 2006 Microsoft driver which doesn't offer graphic support even for Spider Solitaire :); it says: "hardware acceleration not suported", which is frustrating coming from Solitaire to a NVIDIA  8600 M  video card ). I can not install even the most basic game; i used to play Aion on the same machine, but operating with Windows XP. Now i can not play Aion :(

I do not want to install a 32 Bit Win 7, i bought a machine which support 64 bit OS, i only want a video driver compatible from Dell or a solution

Thank you.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2010 19:00

Same here!!  I have searched everwhere for the Nvidia Windows 64 bit driver.  I installed one from the Nvidia site and it completely borked my system so I had to reinstall the whole thing.  So for now I'm stuck with what seems to be software graphics?  No 'vibrance' or anything else that we have come to know and love from Nvidia drivers!

4 Posts

October 28th, 2010 11:00

Don't try  to find them because they don't exist.

The most annoying thing is that on a Dell Vostro 1710 with Intel Core 2 Duo  WINDOWS 7 is not a suported OS !! Only XP and Vista 32 Bits are recommended.

I won't recommend DELL to anyone

2 Posts

October 28th, 2010 22:00

I certainly have not had a pleasant experience with Dell over this.  It should be a off the shelf standard Nvidia chip, that's why I chose Nvidia on this laptop.  If I install Ubuntu 64 bit it works perfectly, with the binary closed source Nvidia driver that Nvidia release for Linux, so I nee no reason why, if a OS with a microscopic market share like Ubuntu can be supported by for Nvidia on 64 bit, why the mainstream and very popular Windows 7 can't??

I just don't get why we can't even use standard Nvidia drivers and why we need to wait for Dell who have now said they will not provide us with any drivers, or even any information, on 64 bit Windows 7 Nvidia drivers for the Vostro.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 30th, 2010 07:00

nVidia would like to forget it ever released the 8400GS and 8600GT chips -- these are the ones that are of known-faulty engineering.

1 Message

November 10th, 2010 01:00

Hi There.

I've had the same annoying problem. I've just downloaded the Dell 1720 nVidia drivers which seem to have succesfully installed. I haven't put it through it's paces yet but thought it would be worth mentioning so you can all have a look.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=6&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1720&hidos=W764&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Fingers crossed!

4 Posts

November 11th, 2010 09:00

Hello

What is your configuration ? video card, motherboard ?

Pls more info if it works with 1720 video driver !

Thank you

1 Message

April 29th, 2011 08:00

I have the same problem with my vostro 1710, and dell support don't work very hard to try get you a update video driver....

Dell is only good for  selling computers that's it....

Me was the first time I bought  there and will the last one...

I STRONGLY DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING FROM DELL

1 Message

April 12th, 2012 20:00

Hi can i ask... did 1720 windows 7 vostro drivers work when installing on the 1710 vostro?

thanks

20 Posts

April 12th, 2012 21:00

You may not have enough RAM to run 64bit Windows 7 OS, but you can always try and use Windows7 in 32bit. Your GPU will surely be compatible with it.

1 Message

February 5th, 2014 19:00

This may not work but it helped me a lot with another Dell and an ASUS I was upgrading.

Go into  "Control Panel"    Then "device manager"

Let's say for example your video card driver is not installed properly or it's the wrong one;

Scroll down to "sound video and game controllers"    In this example I selected "Intel (R) Display audio"

Double click     Select the "Details" tab.   Under "property" select "Hardware Ids".   Normally two will be listed. 

Click on the first one and right click copy.  Paste into Google search and create a search term like this:

drivers windows 7 64 bit HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000

the part after ...64 bit is the pasted Hardware ID

If anyone has made the right driver for this device it will show up.  I've had around 90% success using this method.

You wasting your time trying to go through Dell if the machine never sold with Windows 7.  That doesn't stop other manufacturers having drivers that will work.

13 Posts

July 27th, 2016 10:00

Wasted days & nites installing/ uninstalling various NVidia drivers for "free" Win 10... nope...
This one works in Windows 7

My miserable experience w/ Windows 10 and it's "compatibility test" said
my 1710 w/ NVidia GeForce 8600M GSwas good to go, and was Win 10 ready and as we all know, surreptitiously MS went ahead and tried to install Win 10.

Wasted many nights attempting to do clean installs and wound up backing through NVidia history of several drivers for the 8600M GS.
Some initially appeared to work, & jpegs looked good but YouTube crashed them. None worked.
You will find current certified drivers dating back, back, back and you will waste a lot of time attempting to get them to work in Win 10.

Ultimately I gave up on windows 10 -64 and reinstalled Windows 7-64.
I found this webpage: Vostro "1710 – Windows 7 and 8.1 64 Bit"
Google this, as this forum kills links -
dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/vostro-1710-windows-7-64-bit/

This link took me the a WinVista driver (beta) and it worked but again video crashed it.

I want to fully credit the good folks at dellwindowsreinstallationguide  dot  com!

No Events found!