Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2012 06:00

Dell Webcam Central: The webcam is being used by another program. & every other program cannot access webcam.

Hi everyone. Recently something bad happened in my XPS l502x laptop: In certain times when I connected to internet, windows logged out every 1 or 2 minutes automatically! (every time I had to enter password to login again). In last occurrence, when I guessed somebody might be accessing computer, I did disconnect internet & from now on, automatic logout disabled! Then Scanned computer using ESET, PANDA, MCAFEE, BIT DEFENDER & SYMANTEC online scans, I also have Kaspersky PURE 2.0 with latest update installed. but all of them reported no threats! Besides, I have not a valid IP. After that, I saw chrome sync is disconnected & Webcam became useless by either Webcam Central or FastAccess or every other cam-related programs. They all was saying it's being used by another program! Now I must mention in quarantine of PURE 2.0 lies one trojan: systemf.exe. It's been detected long ago after some without-antivirus web browsing after I installed PURE 2.0 after that. Now my 2 questions: 1. Is my computer hacked? for example a new trojan is activating itself time-by-time in computer. 2. How to fix webcam? Is there a webcam port or something similar that is busy?

3. Every explanation that helps would be far far far appreciated. Thanks. Is this happened to 1 of u? or what?tnx U.

14 Posts

September 8th, 2012 06:00

Hi everyone. Recently something bad happened in my XPS l502x laptop: In certain times when I connected to internet, windows logged out every 1 or 2 minutes automatically! (every time I had to enter password to login again). In last occurrence, when I guessed somebody might be accessing computer, I did disconnect internet & from now on, automatic logout disabled! Then Scanned computer using ESET, PANDA, MCAFEE, BIT DEFENDER & SYMANTEC online scans, I also have Kaspersky PURE 2.0 with latest update installed. but all of them reported no threats! Besides, I have not a valid IP. After that, I saw chrome sync is disconnected & Webcam became useless by either Webcam Central or FastAccess or every other cam-related programs. They all was saying it's being used by another program! Now I must mention in quarantine of PURE 2.0 lies one trojan: systemf.exe. It's been detected long ago after some without-antivirus web browsing after I installed PURE 2.0 after that. Now my 2 questions: 1. Is my computer hacked? for example a new trojan is activating itself time-by-time in computer. 2. How to fix webcam? Is there a webcam port or something similar that is busy?

3. Every explanation that helps would be far far far appreciated. Thanks. Is this happened to 1 of u? or what?tnx.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2012 08:00

KMService2,

If you feel your system was hacked, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Post back the log if it finds anything.

Webcam issue...

PLEASE READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED, BELOW.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2012 14:00

KMService2,

Some people have Fast Access Facial Recognition Software installed and some other programs, may also use the webcam., like Skype and messengers.

The Webcam Diagnostics helps to determine the problem.

If the webcam shows in the symptom tree and no error messages, creating a new unrestricted user account brings the webcam back.

If the webcam shows in the symptom tree and error message, the webcam may have failed.

If the webcam does not show in the symptom tree, then it bacame detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam.

Rick

14 Posts

September 8th, 2012 14:00

If you feel your system was hacked, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Post back the log if it finds anything.

Good Luck, Brother! tnx. :) for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware !

no - yes - Dell installed all third-party software by itself. AUTOMATICALLY

reading...

disabling/reinabling "Integrated Webcam" fixed that! you're very fantastic!!!!

Webcam Diagnostics is also fantastic!

no (in Webcam Diagnostics)

Yes! BUT no need for warranty!

KMService2

Regards.

But 1 Q remains: what is the instance of the webcam being used by any software? I asked, Does it use a port or something?? this is an information question.

Thank you RockStar!

14 Posts

September 8th, 2012 15:00

hehe! thnks for your assist but I said it's fixed now, brother. Thank you again for additional information!

"disabling/reinabling "Integrated Webcam" fixed that! you're very fantastic!!!!

Webcam Diagnostics is also fantastic!" >> I waasn't joking!

But I have one more final question: I tried a keylogger (legal) software. It's webcam capturing was great! even the webcam light was not shown when capturing image from webcam. Now if you can understand, I'm asking that is it secure to use FastAccess? (when using it, the light turns on but I'm not sure my system is infected by trojans like keyloggers & so, I can't know when capturing image by trojans. CAN I RESTRICT CAM TO BE USED ONLY BY ONE PROGRAM (FASTaCCESS)?

please...answer good!!

well, you need to do a clean reinstall of os , otherwise your hard drive is gonna die.

also the best antivirus out there is avg antivirus from cnet, it can detect and remove trojans.

if you dont downloan other bad stuffs, you can just use free antivirus--microsoft security essencial, mse can detect trojans but cant remove them.

14 Posts

What or Who is or other bad stuffs??? say prayers to my hard drive

the best is kaspersky PURE or KIS.

Thanks for your info.

Regards

KMService2

14 Posts

I mean PURE 2.0 licenced.

211 Posts

September 8th, 2012 17:00

In Windows, only one app at a time can use a given webcam. This is a restriction/limitation of the OS itself (has been since Windows 3 and still is even in Win8). When FastAccess is being used in a mode which utilizes the camera full time (either User Switching or Continuous Security), the camera LED may or may not remain on depending on your Dell model. In those modes, FastAccess also creates a "virtual camera" called faCap. After analyzing the video for faces, FastAccess publishes the video to faCap so that other video apps such as Skype can use video at the same time as FastAccess. That said, only one app at a time may use faCap.

I hope this helps to clarify, at least as it relates to video handling with FastAccess installed. Please see the Sensible Vision FAQ for further details.

No Events found!