Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

12 Posts

December 9th, 2005 05:00

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility icon is not in the notification area.

I've seen one other post about this, but since it was a while ago I can't reply on that post.

While here's the problem, the utility icon is gone.  The utility is still installed, and I can use it.  I've checked and unchecked the Show utility icon check box on the Wireless Networks tab.  It does nothing.  Don't know why but the icon just disappears and the only why I've found is to reinstall the drivers.  I'm using a Dell Wireless 1350(b/g)WLAN miniPCI Card, on Windows XP pro SP2.  I don't want to keep reinstalling the drivers to get the utility icon back.  Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

2.2K Posts

December 9th, 2005 06:00

Can you prevent it from disappearing by disabling "Hide inactive icons" on the Taskbar properties, or enabling that setting and customizing the wireless utility icon to "Always Show"?

I have some trouble customizing those settings. Before I can finish setting them all to "always show", one or more will switch back to "hide when inactive", even though these should be strictly manual settings!

GM

12 Posts

December 9th, 2005 08:00

LOL, guess I should have said I have "Hide inative icons" disabled.  I like to see them.

I did mess with it, and did see the icon in a past item.  I set it to always show.  I have runned bcmwlcpl.cpl and enabled the  "Show wireless icon in system tray".  It still not there.

It is also gone from the other Acct. on the computer.

Message Edited by Jhrea on 12-09-2005 04:08 AM

12 Posts

December 12th, 2005 20:00

Found the problem.  WLTRAY.EXE is not running at start-up.  Don't know why.  But I have to manually run it. 

Message Edited by Jhrea on 12-12-2005 04:50 PM

39 Posts

May 30th, 2011 08:00

find the Dell WLAN in services, right click to display services then choose recovery then make your choice to restart the service upon failure.

No Events found!