Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2017 18:00

Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9365 does not go to sleep

I did a clean install and windows automatically installed all the drivers. I does not go to sleep no matter I press the power button or click on sleep from the power options. The screen just turns off and when I touch the keyboard the screen instantly lights up again. The battery is consumed greatly during screen off and the computer gets hot if put in to a bag. Anyway, it just does not sleep.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 20th, 2017 17:00

I would suggest you try another power scheme to see if that helps.  A clean install may have given you the one Balanced scheme whereas you should have maybe 3.

I ran a clean install on my system and did not see what you are seeing.  I did not reinstall the Dell power utilities.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 5th, 2017 07:00

Make sure you are showing the correct video driver since it is involved in the situation.  Have you downloaded drivers from Dell?

Did you clean install because of a problem?

15 Posts

February 6th, 2017 13:00

I tried video driver from Dell and from device manager. Both of them do not fix it. I always clean install whenever I got a computer.

15 Posts

February 20th, 2017 13:00

Anyone?

15 Posts

March 14th, 2017 22:00

How come you have 3 power options? I only have one but I changed something in the registry and now I have 3. Now it seems the computer sleeps but waking up takes me at least 5 seconds to hold the power button and even so it sometimes does not work. Also, the trackpad stops working after waking up. Do you have the same issues?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 15th, 2017 05:00

My system isn't having that problem.  I once had a system which would not come directly out of sleep and had to be restarted because of a faulty device.  Maybe your touchpad is involved in that manner.

What did you change in the registry?

Currently, after a Bios Update and the Windows updates on March 14 shows two power scheme options, balanced and Dell.

15 Posts

March 15th, 2017 17:00

I changed something that only enables different power options.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power

Then set the "CsEnabled" parameter to 0 hex

Then set the "HibernateEnabled" parameter to 1 hex (It may already be set to 1)

Then reboot. Control Panel > Power Options should now show all three power plans, Balanced, Power Saver and Performance."

How did you get your drivers after clean installation? I just got all my drivers automatically.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 15th, 2017 17:00

I have made the one change to the registry.  Will let you know if that is involved.

I let the Dell updater do the initial updates with the clean install but did go through myself so I would be familiar with the various devices.  I no longer have the clean install but used a recovery drive to reset the new drive to the OEM configuration

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 15th, 2017 18:00

I won't be changing that registry entry again..  My system started doing all sorts of things and was even giving me a blink code....

It did go to sleep but would not wake up normally.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 18:00

All I can suggest is to run the powercfg /energy and powercfg /sleepstudy  and powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics commands to see if it will give you a clue.

If something is keeping it awake it should show up in one of those reports.  After running those commands, try disconnecting from the network in case something there is keeping it awake.

The Connected Standy situation is strange and I have been doing some reading but it appears there is no sleep option but a low power level which can receive incoming information.   The registry change you made seems to be directly related to that.

My system does appear to go to sleep, at least everything I see shuts down.  I get warning events like the one below but I have not tried to investigate why.  I believe this is part of the Connected Standby process.

"Connection to the Windows Push Notification Service failed because of a failure to configure the connection to run properly in low-power states.  Please ensure all network drivers are up to date."

15 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 18:00

So what's the solution ?

15 Posts

March 31st, 2017 21:00

I installed dual system. It does the same thing on Ubuntu.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 31st, 2017 21:00

These systems technically do not have a Sleep mode.  It is called Modern Standby or Connected Standby.  I don't think mine is working correctly but I have not been able to get it rectified.

I saw a video Microsoft has on You Tube which explained it on a Surface Pro 4, but it doesn't seem to behave exactly the same on this system.

1 Message

July 31st, 2017 08:00

Thank you for posting this! I spent 3 hours with Dell support because of sleep issues with my XPS 2 in 1. They walked me through updating the bios and other firmware on the device which fixed most of my issues, but I was still having an issue where the device would not go to sleep when plugged in and closing the lid (would work fine when not plugged in). For whatever strange reason, creating a new power profile fixed it. Thank you!

15 Posts

September 18th, 2017 16:00

For me it still doesn't work. Do you guys think this could be related to SSD? I have mydigital SSD inside. Also, I am on windows insider preview. But that shouldn't matter since sleep has never ever worked on my machine.

No Events found!