Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

December 1st, 2017 20:00

Dell XPS 13 (9360) - Common problem of Random Restarts/Random Shutdowns/ASF2 Force Off

Hello everyone,

So I think by now, this problem has already been reported several times. I hope in my post, I can try to collect all the previous posts and what I've learned from them and put it all in one post. Yes, the new Dell XPS 13 (9360) models is confirmed to have a persistent issue of randomly shutting down and attributing this issue to an "ASF2 Force Off” in the BIOS event logs.

I myself own a Dell XPS 13, and yes, it has the same issue. Here's what happened on my end: I bought a new Dell XPS 13 nontouchscreen with 8GB RAM on October 31, 2017. And it arrived and worked well for about a week before randomly shutting down for the first time. I thought it was just a one-time thing, so I kept using it. Turns out, it shut down again and again in randomly moments every hour or so for the next 2 days, so I know it is definitely an issue. I ran an F12 Hardware Diagnostic along in Thorough Test Mode and a Dell Hardware Diagnostic, and the results were that no hardware issues were found, so I know it’s not a hardware issue. I ran a virus-scan just to check that one off the list. Interestingly though, I ran a Dell "Repair" option in the F12 menu, and apparently, there were some unrepairable issues found. Anyways, I got sick and tired of the problem, so I wrote to Dell Customer Service, who replied by sending me a "replacement" model. Meanwhile, I looked at the BIOS event logs and turns out the problem was attributed to an ASF2 force off...I have no clue what it means precisely, and neither does Dell.

Within about 2 weeks, I received the "replacement" model, and the second I turned it on, I was greeted by a "System Overheated" message, which really made me feel disappointed. I did a quick check in the BIOS event logs and turns out my “replacement” model was actually a refurbished model that was at least 2 months old. I wrote back to Dell Customer service and complained that I didn’t receive a brand new replacement system as promised due to my first Dell XPS 13 being a couple weeks old. I also complained that the replacement model had issues and that all I wanted was a functioning Dell XPS 13 laptop.

In 2 more weeks, I received a Dell XPS 13 touch-screen variant with 16GB RAM as my second “replacement” model. At first I was happy that Dell gave me a free upgrade to the most high-end XPS 13 model, however...the problem came back two days ago on November 29, 2017...The computer randomly shutted down, and went to a blue screen with the words “It looks like Windows didn’t load correctly.” This was the same issue as the first Dell purchase I made. I turned off the computer and look at the BIOS event logs: ASF2 force off.

I searched the forums and turns out that at least 30+ Dell XPS 13 users are having the same issue with the random reboots attributed to ASF2. So far, the only person who seems to have a fix is a reddit user who suggested a downgrade to BIOS 2.1.0. Another user noted that this problem seem to only happen when the system is not plugged in, though I haven’t fact-checked that myself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the other posts about the same issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20025527
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7gqb50/two_brand_new_dell_xps_13_keeps_restarting/
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20025127

en.community.dell.com/.../20025526

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, Dell realizes that this is a widespread problem and release an update sooner or later to fix this. I currently have 3 unreliable Dell XPS 13s sitting in front of me...

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 21:00

Type in System in your Taskbar Searchbar. Click on "System." In the window on the left hand side, click "Advanced system settings," then click "Settings..." under "Startup and Recovery." Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" under "System failure."

Turns out Windows systems have that option selected so in case of System failure, the computer will automatically reboot to prevent the computer from further damage. However, by unchecking that box, instead of a reboot, a dialogue box will pop up and tell you what exactly went wrong with your computer. So far, no dialogue box showed up, and my Dell XPS 13 isn't randomly rebooting...So far so good. Never had another random reboot in 2 days and counting. Please try this and let me know if this is a fix. Would be beyond happy if this simple trick fixes things...

2 Posts

December 4th, 2017 14:00

I tried this already, made no difference.

reboots several times a day even though the checkbox is selected to not reboot. also installed the annoying "Killer Control Center" s someone suggested, also no luck.

so far, only occurs when running on battery.

fyi: laptop is 3 days old and ha rebooted at least 10 times.

December 6th, 2017 16:00

The Killer Control Center shouldn't have any effect at all on this issue, but if you wouldn't mind, could you please send us some feedback and let us know why you find it annoying? www.killernetworking.com/.../contact

1 Message

December 10th, 2017 13:00

I'm having exactly the same problem. 3 week old laptop running windows 10.. Unchecking "Automatically restart" has not helped.

1 Message

December 10th, 2017 16:00

I've had the same problem before when I first got my XPS 13 9360 in November. For me, the fix seemed to be downgrading the BIOS to version 2.1.0.

14 Posts

December 14th, 2017 16:00

Currently speaking to a Dell technician. He personally recommends downgrading to BIOS 2.1.0 as that is the fix that seems to be working for everyone. He says that he is aware of the problem that lots of people are having in their Dell XPS 13s, and said that BIOS 2.1.0 is the fix. He just helped me install 2.1.0 on my own Dell XPS 13, so the timer starts...let's see if this thing shuts down. If after 3 weeks, there is not a single shut down, then it is confirmed: BIOS 2.1.0 is the fix.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2017 19:00

How do you speak to dell technician? I updated to 2.4.0 and it will not let me downgrade to 2.1.0

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 13:00

I just purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360 and was literally reading a concern about this when my laptop just shut off, while charging. The laptop was not under load, unless there was a memory leak from firefox, I doubt the issue was the memory. I also checked the Windows Event Viewer logs and there were no logs concerning anything from windows about the shutdown, simply post-logs about an unexpected shutdown. This is the first time I've run into it but also my fifth hour using this laptop, so I'm concerned. Currently running BIOS version 2.3.1, and I'm considering downgrading, unless I can find an update that fixes this.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 14:00

I just spoke to a Dell technician and he told me that the current update (2.4.2) is still giving users trouble and that their engineering team is working on the shutdown issue as their next patch priority. He told me that the next update should fix the issue, but in the mean time, everyone should use 2.1.0.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 14:00

:emotion-2:

The latest BIOS version: 2.4.2 (Dec 12 2017)for XPS 9360 appears to fix some of the problems. Please check out the other threads in links below:

Pages 3 and 4....

Dell XPS 13 - Random reboot / windows crash - General ...

And....

Pages 4 and 5....

Dell XPS 13 9360 - random reboots - General Hardware ...

3 Posts

December 27th, 2017 16:00

After browsing a couple Dell and Reddit threads, what I've gathered is that update 2.4.2 introduces new issues, prevents downgrading of the BIOS back to 2.1.0, and doesn't universally fix the shutdown bug. It appears to have fixed a few users' issues but it doesn't appear to be the comprehensive solution. This may be a small subset of users but I'm definitely not taking the risk with no chance of reverting. Gonna wait for 2.5.0 and definitive Dell driver documentation that states the purpose of the update was to fix the shutdown issue.

Thread where users on BIOS update 2.4.2 report rebooting: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20025546

No Events found!