Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2017 21:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 + WD15 (Realtek USB Audio) distortion/cutout

Hi everyone,

New owner of the XPS 13 9360, great product aside from some coil whine. I have an issue with the audio port, from the WD15. Sometimes when I am listening to music, I will notice distortion for 3-5 secs, and then it will cut out completely. Then the audio interface is completely unavailable to the OS. Spotify will say "Cannot play right now", as if the interface is blocked.

I have BIOS updated to 2.2.1 on the XPS 13 9360, and WD15 F/W is up to date (according to the update tool). Realtek USB is updated to March 17, 2017, the newest one available on the website. I have no display issues or ethernet issues with the dock otherwise, but the audio issue is very annoying.

Can anyone provide a clue as to why this is happening? Even when it doesn't cut out completely, I'll hear an occasional stutter from the audio, as if audio interrupts are not being handled in higher priority over other I/O. Not sure what the problem is, but I guess I can also ask here and start a discussion with Dell support as well.

Thanks

9.4K Posts

October 10th, 2017 09:00

Hi gamei56,

Thanks for posting.

Does this happen with other audio sources (ie: non-streaming)?  It may be your internet connection as the same thing happens on my Galaxy S7 at home when I'm listening to Pandora while working and using a lot of bandwidth.

If it happens with all audio sources, then it may be a sound card issue.  You could try Dell Support Assist before calling Tech Support. cwww.youtube.com/playlist

2 Posts

October 10th, 2017 10:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the only things I've tried were Youtube and mostly streaming sources, but I do not have doubts on the internet connection as it is connected through ethernet on the dock, and I have never had connectivity problems, even for gaming standards.

9.4K Posts

October 10th, 2017 11:00

Interesting.  Well you should try a music CD or a USB stick with audio on it to check the sound card.

No Events found!