Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2016 08:00

Dell XPS 13 QHD+ 9350 Heat Problem

When the laptop is charging and being used, its temperature goes up higher than when not charging around 15 Celsius. I have tried monitoring the temperature during charging while playing games, the laptop is overheating and it went up to 94 Celsius then I tried to plug a laptop power adapter out, it went down to around 83 Celsius. It would always be like this. Another problem is the power adapter gets very hot during charging even in sleeping mode or playing games. I can't touch it!. Moreover, my screen is flicker sometimes while I'm playing games and displays that "display driver stop responding and has recovered"

My drivers are up to date. BIOS: 1.3.3

Thank you for any advice or recommendation. 

May 12th, 2016 14:00

I found a little tricky workaround.

I observed that when I select other power plans than "Power Saver", the processor is always at maximum frequency when charging (something about 3100 MHz, checked with HWMonitor).

When I select "Power Saver" power plan, everything works fine. I created another power plan based on that one and changed things like "processor power management", "wireless card"  and other things, and everything works fine now.

There is something we cannot change in Microsoft power plans that affects how processor works with "Turbo Frequency".

Maybe something that Dell can solve with driver updates?

Right now, charging, browsing web, 56-57 celsius, and processor about 499 MHz when idle.

I have a XPS 9350 Microsoft Signture Edition.

2K Posts

April 10th, 2016 13:00

Hi SILAPINBENZ,

Download and reinstall the video drivers from the support site - http://dell.to/1UiTOks

If you still encounter the video driver crashes, then restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. If there are no errors, then restart the system and within windows - run a stress test on the system - http://dell.to/21y9GPi

Restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS.

Test the system with another adapter if possible. For the screen flickering issue, after updates and tests, if the issue still persists, then connect an external monitor and check for flickering on the LCD and the external monitor - this will help isolate if the source of the issue.

If the system is under warranty, then contact us via Twitter - @dellcarespro - for faster communication.

Keep us updated.

April 12th, 2016 20:00

I have the same overheat problem while charging!

I tried everything! Updated BIOS, drivers, etc...

I downloaded the Dell Command | Power Manager, and tried to set the "thermal management" to "Cool", but not solved my problem at all. In the Control Panel -> "Power Options", I set the "System Cooling Policy" to "Active", but nothing happens too.

Right now, charging, browsing web, the CPU temp is around 70 celsius, and I can see the cooling fan isn't working.

I think that Dell needs to make a BIOS update fixing this heat issues.

2K Posts

April 13th, 2016 12:00

Hi ELIESERLEAO,

Please send me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details. We shall check the warranty and book a service call if required accordingly.

You could also contact us via Twitter - @dellcarespro for faster communication.

No Events found!