Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 7th, 2017 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 i7/GTX 1050 Performance issue

A few months ago I purchased the Dell XPS 15 9560. I have used it on a daily basis since, but I noticed performance issues. The SSD and RAM works fine, but benchmarks for the CPU and GPU are very low. I have gone through extensive testing, but can not seem to find the problem. Dell's own performance testing made the laptop max out, and found no issues, but third party testing or gaming on the laptop will not make the laptop reach its capabilities. The specs should be very high end, but do not live up to them when processing tougher tasks. For example League of Legends runs very poorly compared to the specs. It almost feels like there would be some kind of cap set to the performance, but no such things are enabled. If there is anyone that could help with this I would be very grateful. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 7th, 2017 12:00

By what standards are you comparing?  There are desktop CPU and mobile CPUs - the latter will never perform as well as desktop CPUs, as they're optimized for lower power consumption.  That's why a lot of the high-end gaming notebooks use desktop CPUs (such as those built by Clevo and the boutique brands like Sager and Falcon Northwest that build systems using Clevo chassis).  

There's a desktop 1050, but the mobile version won't run as fast as it does either - further, in a desktop, the 1050 is the true, dedicated GPU that League of Legends recommends -- and it's not what you have in your system, which is a hybrid of an nVidia co-processor and Intel graphics (the former cannot operate without the latter in your system).

It sounds like you're looking for a high-end gaming notebook - that's not the way your system was designed to operate.  It's a slim, portable all around notebook - yes, it can do some gaming.  It will never deliver flat-out gaming performance -- it's not large enough to support the cooling requirements of a CPU and GPU running at the levels that sustained gaming requires.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2017 10:00

Thank you for the answer. Updated the BIOS and managed to fix some of the performance restricting settings on windows, and now it seems to be running as I was expecting it to do. Your info was highly informative, though. Thank you for that.

No Events found!