Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2013 18:00

Dell XPS 15 L521x screen brightness problem

My Dell XPS15 L521x seems to have some screen problems. When plugged in the brightness is fine and brightness control works. When I unplug the ac adapter and the laptop is running on battery, the screen becomes very dim, and flickers at times. Changing brightness doesn't seem to do anything, only making small differences on brightness from minimum to maximum. The brightness is just as dim when in bios before windows. Here's a quick video of the problem. start up. 

3 Posts

September 16th, 2013 02:00

I did everything here just now and it didn't do anything. Is the diagnostic supposed to shut the computer down after 2 color cycles? That's what it keeps doing for me so it won't let me check the display status.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 16th, 2013 02:00

Hi RCHUNG89, 

Thank for the video. Please update BIOS and video driver from the link below:

http://dell.to/19WrLx2

Select the Operating system and flash BIOS and update the appropriate video driver.

In case the issue persists even after the update, run diagnostics on the display with only Battery connected. To run test on the display press and hold D key on the keyboard and power on the computer. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Check the status of the display and please revert.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi rchung89,

Let me know the color display during diagnostics. Check this video to run diagnostics on all the hardware components.

http://dell.to/18jhlEt

You may also check if the display goes dim in the BIOS screen with only Battery in the computer. Restart the system and tap F2 key at startup to open BIOS.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2013 16:00

Diagnostic came back as no problems detected but that's obviously not the case. BIOS is version A14. As mentioned above, with the battery only, the display is dim in the bios as well, leading me to believe it may be a hardware related issue. I just find it odd that the machine behaves normally when plugged in. Possibly a loose connection? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Dell-Sujatha.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 18th, 2013 05:00

Hi rchung89,

Thank you for the update. I suspect the mother board is faulty. Please click on the link below to check the warranty of the system. In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

http://dell.to/15xK2TQ

In case the system is out of warranty; let me know the region you belong to, to provide the contact information for the out of warranty department which is a paid support.

1 Message

April 20th, 2014 11:00

I am having this same issue. Updated my Bios to A16 from A14 and nothing was resolved. what should I do?

No Events found!