Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2011 13:00

Dell inspiron duo 7 beep code at start up!!!

Hi, if someone could help me would be great! I receive this 7beep code from the motherboard every time I try to boot my inspiron duo 1090, nothing on screen just a 7 beep code not like 3-2-2 or 3-4 or something is a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1. I saw around the net that this is common and is just a fake alarm from the motherboard, and that dell support have told ppl to just press the FN key while booting and that bypasses the P.O.S.T. and boots like nothing again, some ppl say the just left they're computer there and tried like 2 weeks later and booted like normal. I tried this FN key to bypass the P.O.S.T. but NOTHING happened and my duo is out of warranty already and I don't wanna pay for a fake code or something please somebody help me =( 

2 Posts

August 31st, 2015 01:00

I found an American webpage telling how to solve this within half an hour. At first I thought is was mad. I was desperate so I tried it.

With the laptop on and beeping away wrap it up tightly in a large towel and place under the duvet. Leave it for 1/2 hour and then unwrap and switch off. Leave it to cool down and then switch on. I writing this on a dell laptop that had the 7 beeps and the above treatment.

It works!!!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2011 13:00

Beep Beep Bad Ram Beep Beep Bad Ram if nvida GPU worse the GPU is reporting bad Ram.

5 Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

Thank you for replying but no it's not a "beep-beep" code, it is actually a "beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep" code, 7 beeps. I tried switching RAM between the duos (I have 2) and it ddin't solve the issue, I even booted the "good one" with the possible faulty RAM dimm and it booted good while the "bad one" still gives me that code =(

5 Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

Thank you for replying but no it's not a "beep-beep" code, it is actually a "beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep" code, 7 beeps. I tried switching RAM between the duos (I have 2) and it ddin't solve the issue, I even booted the "good one" with the possible faulty RAM dimm and it booted good while the "bad one" still gives me that code =(

5 Posts

August 1st, 2011 18:00

Thank you again! just to be sure, how long should I wait for putting the CMOS and the battery back to the system board?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

7 beeps when you try to start it, there are two solutions – one is a DIY fix and the other is contacting Dell and having a service technician come out and take care of it . The fix involves removing and reseating the  batterys inside the system.

Documentation

Removing the Battery

1. Follow the instructions in Before You Begin.  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

2. Remove the label door (see Removing the Label Door)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

3. Remove the keyboard (see Removing the Keyboard)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

4. Remove the palm-rest assembly (see Removing the Palm-Rest Assembly) <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

5. Disconnect the battery cable from the connector on the system board. 

6. Remove the five screws that secure the battery to the computer base. 

7. Lift the battery off the computer base. 

Removing the Coin-Cell Battery

1. Follow the instructions in Before You Begin.  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

2. Remove the label door (see Removing the Label Door)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

3. Remove the keyboard (see Removing the Keyboard) <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

4. Remove the palm-rest assembly (see Removing the Palm-Rest Assembly) <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. 

5. Remove the battery (see Removing the Battery). 

6. Remove the memory module (see Removing the Memory Module). 

7. Use a plastic scribe and gently pry the coin-cell out of the battery socket on the system board. 

8. Lift the coin-cell battery out of the system board socket. 

plastic scribe

coin-cell battery

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

30 min or less should be sufficient.   I don't own one so I can't say for sure.

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 11:00

thank you, well it ddnt work...as I read around, the 7 code is a fake alarm for a faulty processor, but people state it is fake,told by dell technicians ans they say to press the FN key at boot up but that doesnt help...I really wish I wouldnt have to send my computer to dell

1 Message

January 24th, 2012 21:00

I have the same beeps on my lop top, 7 beeps on my dell loptop,  what I did I check all the conections on it, and found that the the wire that gos into the motherboard was prtialiy broken from the end that gos to the power botton

I also checked the conectons that gos from the monitor to the motherboard, some time  the little pins inside  are bent when u put back the wire to the motherbord, I also checked the cmos battery.

hop this can help

I got my lolptop running and I did't have to pay any money.  Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!

1 Message

July 5th, 2012 13:00

The FN button worked for me. I pressed it as soon as the power light came on AND THEN I continued to hold it while quickly pressing F1 through F12. By the time I got up to F7 or F8 the machine was already booting normally. 

3 Posts

September 9th, 2012 14:00

Pressing "Fn" hasn't given enything. Inspiron M5010:  en.community.dell.com/.../20180939.aspx

1 Message

July 20th, 2016 14:00

I saw a video on youtube stating the same fix..I thought the poster was pulling my leg but tried it anyway...It actually did the trick...My laptop was beeping seven times and not starting up...I had to go out for a few hours so I left the laptop beeping and covered it up by putting it under a pillow. When I came home it was still beeping. I turned it off and back on again and to my surprise the laptop booted up and came back on like new!!!!

2 Posts

March 10th, 2017 00:00

I have since found out that there is no need to go to the extent of using towel and blanket - just switch on and cover the fan cooling grill with your hand for about a minute. Switch off and then back on and you should get going again.

No Events found!