Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2011 10:00

Dell inspiron n5010 random beep and clank (click) Windows 7 (64bit)

Hi.

My brand new n5010 beeps randomly. Single medium-long beep (2sec.) occurs. During the beep there is another mechanical sound inside laptop. The sound can be described as clank or click (very similar like opening laptop`s cdrom). No system freezing no other problems. This occurs 2-3 times a day (sometimes less). No mater if I am using my laptop or it is being idle. So IMHO it`s not temperature problem.

BTW windows Event Viewer has no information at times when beeping and clank`ing occurs.

Can somebody help me? What kind of diagnostics programs I can run? I`ve tried memtest+ with result of 0 errors.. And what kind of logger I can use, taht can catch such error?

Other system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-480M

Ram: 6GB (2GB+4GB) 1333MHz DDR3

HDD: 640GB (5400RPM) SAMSUNG_HM641JI

VGA: 1GB, ATI Radeon HD 5650

Superb system, i Just love it but that creepy beep and clank is driving me mad :)

7 Posts

August 4th, 2011 01:00

In my specific case it was HDD problem after changing it to Toshiba  no more problems

7 Posts

February 15th, 2011 11:00

BUMP

Why speedFan app is showing extremely low temperature?

Core0 and core1 ~10 celcius. BTW I recently noticed that there is no changes in temperatures when beep/clank occurs. What is wrong with my laptop?

1 Message

March 15th, 2011 03:00

I have the same problem, but there's nothing wrong with my core temperatures. The beeping and clicking occur about once a day for me, although I only turn on my laptop in the evening.

I've shot off an email to Dell support to see what they can do. Do you have any updates on your situation?

7 Posts

March 15th, 2011 03:00

I tried all kind`s of diagnostics (official dell and 3rd party) on my HDD,RAM, and other parts with no luck. Everything passed with success.

So I have taken my laptop to service. They kept it for one week, tried different diagnostics, but as they claimed, that they didn`t hear any sound. When I receive my laptop back home it took 30 minutes to produce that annoying sound again. I mailed to service again and they ordered HDD replacement. So now I`m still using laptop and waiting HDD replacement arrival.  Anyway the service are NOT 100% sure, that it is HDD problem. Let`s hope, that it`s HDD problem..  

For last week this sound happens almost twice a day, and it is not single beep anymore. Now it beeps in complete random patterns and after making that beep patern as always click sound occurs.

By the way. As I google`d about low fan temperatures I discovered, that Low core temperature, was false alarm because of speedfan app incompatibility with my bios (or something like that).

2 Posts

March 19th, 2011 03:00

Hi!

I have the same  problem strange beep or clank on every day once or twice.

I just bougth Dell Inspiron n5010

CPU: P6200

RAM: 3GB

HDD: 320GB

VGA: Intel

Any solution are welcome!

Or I hope it will go bad in warranty time so they can change it back for free!

7 Posts

March 19th, 2011 04:00

I'm still waiting for hdd replacement. Random beeps+clicks still eats my nerves. I'll  let you guys know on any updates. I hope so do you.

p.s. after finding people with same problem but diferent hardware I'm now 80% sure, that it is not faulty hdd :(

2 Posts

March 19th, 2011 04:00

Just a speculation but this still could be a HDD problem, like a series of faulty HDDs in every Inpiron n5010 modell. Maybe they used the same hard disk in these models. But as I sad this is just a speculation. I'm waiting for your experience with your new hdd.

7 Posts

March 26th, 2011 10:00

O.k. Iv`e got my hdd replacement on friday (yesterday). No problems so far. But only one full day passed, so anything can happen in near future. If problem reappears I`ll let you know. Let`s hope i will never write here again :)

By the way my old hdd was samsung. replacement is toshiba :)

May 5th, 2011 13:00

So ?

Mine started doing that once a month after few month, now it's almost every day for few days

Did the new HDD helped ? And if it's HDD it's scary for data !

7 Posts

May 5th, 2011 14:00

yeah it helped. new hdd worked like a charm no more problems for two months so far

Noe I just love that laptop :)

1 Message

May 20th, 2011 15:00

I have the same problem...bought this laptop 2 weeks ago (win 7 x64) and tonight i heard it doing this beep and click for the first time... Tought it was from the cores, but if u say it was the hdd that`s a bit comforting...hdd is less expensive than the cores :) Hope i'll never hear that again, but i wouldn't count on it.

Cheers!

1 Message

June 14th, 2011 00:00

Same here. Quite annoying. HDD issue ? win7 64

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 06:00

I have for like a month or so almost the same System as vukis, the topic starter. It's I5-480M, 4GB Ram, 640 GB hdd SAMSUNG ALSO, Ati HD 5650 1 gb, very pleased of it, but i also get the BEEPS and CLICKS.

Not rushing into changing the HDD yet, while I stil have almost another 2 years of warranty. Meanwhile, backing up my information.

Thank you for your information!

18 Posts

August 4th, 2011 01:00

it could be the fan on the video card

1 Message

August 20th, 2011 09:00

I have the same issue with my inspiron N5010. 4gig, 500gig and ATI 50x video. i hear this ramdom click and beep on the lower left corner. i talked to tech support and suggested the problem is HD. mine too has a samsung drive. I am waiting for the fedex box to arrive to ship the laptop

No Events found!