Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2012 21:00

Dell inspiron right speaker is making noise

When the volume is kept high, the right side speaker starts making crackling noise. And this occurs for particular part of frequencies

3.3K Posts

September 12th, 2012 22:00

Hi Nithilane,

Please help me understand if this is a Laptop or a Desktop and also the system model number.

Connect an external headphones/Speakers and check if the crackling noise persists.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

Sorry that i didnt mention this... Mine is dell inspiron 15r laptop. There is no problem when its connected with external headphones or external speakers. The problem arises only when i increase the volume above 50% and only with right side speakers.

Thanks for your kind response.

4 Posts

Sorry that i didnt mention this... Mine is dell inspiron 15r laptop. There is no problem when its connected with external headphones or external speakers. The problem arises only when i increase the volume above 50% and only with right side speakers.

Thanks for your kind response.

3.3K Posts

September 12th, 2012 23:00

Hi Nithilane,

Thank you for your quick response.

The issue is with the internal speakers and we need to try few troubleshooting steps.

I recommend to update the Audio drivers on the computer.

I have provided a link for drivers download:

1) Visit the following website: www.dell.com/.../ProductSelector

2) Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.

3) In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.

4) Under category AUDIO, click “Download File” and save the file on desktop.

5) Double click the file and follow the onscreen instructions.

If the issue still persists, run the diagnostics on the computer.

I have provided a link below to run diagnostics:

www.dell.com/.../19

From the above choose Diagnostic type as Symptom and select No Sound and start running the diagnostics.

I request you to private message system service tag number, Owners name and contact number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 09:00

Hi Rajesh

I have the exact same problem. I ran both the remedies you mentioned above howver didnt fix the problem. I see on google search that it might be a hardware issue for inspiron models. Is that true? I am currently located in North Caroline, US. Where should i go to get this fixed?

Manoj

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hi MDThane

The problem is due to vlc media player. When the volume is increased beyond a level(which is possible only in vlc player), it amplifies the signal beyond the threshold level of the speaker. In case of desktop speakers there is no problem. But usually laptops have fixed bias current for speakers. And damage due to this does not come under warranty.

934 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 12:00

What about an audio editor like "Audacity" ? You can amplify a signal until it becomes totally distorted and when playing such a signal at maximum sound level your internal speaker shouldn't "explode" because all audio amplifiers have output current limiters which (should) prevent any harm to the circuitry and speakers.I don't see a reason why such a system should not be covered under warranty.

===================================

If the system is under warranty - have it fixed

===================================

If the system is out of warranty and software problems can be ruled out replacing the speaker would be worth trying.

(for testing you can temporarily use any speaker available with similar specs - it's usually written on the speaker:4,8,16 Ohm)

2 Posts

September 24th, 2012 12:00

dell support US is sending me the replacement speaker (right) hopefully that should fix the issue. The sound with headphones is all right.. only right speaker cracks. if i use only left one the sound is fine.

No Events found!