Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 23rd, 2011 22:00

Dell xps m1530 Laptop touchpad/keyboard issue

dell xps m1530 Win XP.

I just started having this problem and let me just say from the beginning that NO there was not any liquid spilled on the computer.

The problem:
If i touch either button or the touchpad anywhere i get a loud BEEEEEEEP alarm that lasts about 5 to 10 seconds long. Sometime i see a msg CAPS LCOK:ON or CTRL locked. Other times i see nothing just the alarm. The next thing that happens is that the keyboard stops working after i touch the touchpad at all. If i restart the computer the keyboard will work fin until i touch the touchpad then it stops working. There are no Hardware errors in the Device manager. Everything is working fine. I have tried the update drivers for the items that i believe are the touchpad and they are all up to date.

If i plug in a mouse i can move around just fine. If i open Notepad and try to type nothing happens BUT if i touch the touchpad while active in notepad, the alarm will go off but then letters will show up in Notepad as if i typed something. Its like the computer thinks the touchpad is the keyboard. I just touched the pad and it gave me L\P;L]\\L i touched it in another spot and it gave me 00./L-P/PP;-L/LA.

I tried to disable the pad by going into device manager and after it was disabled i touched the pad and get the same loud alarm.

Anyone have a solution?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 28th, 2011 14:00

DKTREX

I am sorry to hear that you are having the problem with the touchpad. My feeling here is that the touchpad is defective it could also be the power sensor cable connector which is just below the touchpad. 

Typically I would remove the palm rest and reseat the touchpad, fingerprint reader cable (if you have a fingerprint reader) and the power sensor cable.  This is fairly extensive work inside the notebook so if you are still under warranty I certainly suggest contacting tech support for a service.  The following link is from the service manual and gives instructions on removing the palm rest / touchpad assembly.

TB

No Events found!