Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2011 05:00

Disable "My Dell Downloads" popup

After numerous attempts i have finally figured out how to get rid of this darn message on my Dell XPS (Shame on you Dell for having such a annoying bug!!!). Here it goes:

1. Wait for the message to pop up

2. Open up 'Start Task manager' (Ctrl/Alt/Del)

3. Under the processes tab (should be defaulted to that) scroll all the way down or look for a file name called "Toaster.exe *32". The description should say "Dell DataSafe Local Backup"

4. Right click the file name

5. You can either select "End Process" which will turn the message off until the next time you log back in to your laptop. To permanently get rid of it carry on reading...

6. Select "Open File Location" instead of "End Process"

7. A new window will open and it should automatically highlight a file name called "Toaster"

8. Locate the file name "ToasterLauncher" which should be somewhere underneath the file "Toaster".

9. Finallyyyy Right Click the file and ENJOY pressing "DELETE" [If you want, you can delete all the "Toaster..." files]

10. Celebrate with some Capri Sun Orange Juice drink! (My favourite!)

11. You MAY NEED TO RESTART your laptop/pc to put it into effect!

12. If it works for you please spread this instruction around all forums so others can benefit! Free of charge! :)

Hope it helps folks. Let me know how it worked for you!

Regards

Aziz

3 Posts

July 30th, 2011 15:00

Aziz, your answer worked wonderfully!  I had tried uninstalling the application and also stopping the service in MSCONFIG with either solution not working, the first because an error kept coming up when trying to uninstall. And stopping the service did not stop the pop-ups from appearing.  Your solution did it!

One note on your instructions.  For anyone wanting to delete the Toaster Launcher executable, you first have to stop the process as you noted on step 5, and THEN delete this file.  

My wife is one happy person now that the annoying pop-up is gone.  FOREVER!

August 7th, 2011 04:00

Thats Awesome! I'm glad it worked for you all.

It got me so frustrated, so much that i was ready to return my xps because of this "spam" like feature.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2011 21:00

You can also unistall the Datasafe Local Backup software from programs.

cm

1 Message

August 6th, 2011 21:00

Awesome work Aziz!!! I worked on this issue for for about 4 hours and could not figure it out, that's until I found your fix. Thanks so much!!!

October 10th, 2011 20:00

Thank You!!   I was at my wits end. It started coming up every 15seconds and I couldn't get anything done on my laptop.  Hopefully someone at Dell is looking at these posts  and  notes that YOUR POP UP IS TERRIBLE.....it makes me want to use your products less.  Thank you Aziz your fyour answer

1 Message

March 19th, 2012 12:00

Thank you, so, so much! I spent hours trying to do this, when your fix only took about a minute! 

1 Message

May 5th, 2012 17:00

Is "I love you" too strong?  I was going crazy.  I'm not exactly computer savvy but your directions were so clear that even I could understand them.  Thanks so much :emotion-2:

May 5th, 2012 17:00

Haa Haa! Thanks! I'm glad it worked for you :) Aziz

1 Message

May 29th, 2012 19:00

I have tried this and I get the message action can't be done at this time because the Dell data back up is open and needs to close... I close and try again and same thing ;(

8 Posts

July 24th, 2012 11:00

How can I thank you ... you are a GENIUS!!!!!.  I just followed your very amusing instructions, and I hope I never see that so very annoying and intrusive pop up again.  Please do post any other good suggestions you have....  thanks again.

8 Posts

July 24th, 2012 14:00

Aziz, I  did what you suggested. However, the little icon in the start up is still there. I don't know if the pop ups will return or not.  How do you get rid of it? I also suffer from jumping cursor... driving me crazy... but that is another problem. thanks

1 Message

June 4th, 2013 09:00

You're the man Aziz. I gave a presentation to a client yesterday on my laptop. Of course it "popped up" every ten seconds. Rediculous. Dell, please send Aziz a prize for taking care of this.  

1 Message

September 4th, 2013 03:00

Dear Aziz,

This is my first time in a forum. 

Thank you so much for your solution for removal of the Dell DataSafe popup.  I've been struggling trying to use my laptop without the bottom right 10% of the screen.  Your solution worked a treat - THANK YOU.

Kind regards,

Dodger22

2 Posts

February 7th, 2014 20:00

Hi just tried to get rid of this dell popup thought it worked then deleted some of the toaster files as suggested by guy who did it but now I don't have all those toaster files that I need to work with anyone know how to help...why would dell do such a thing, it's driving me crazy, Lynda

1 Message

October 24th, 2015 10:00

I see that some 4 years later, Dell has still not addressed this issue.   I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Window 10.   All of a sudden I started getting the Dell DataSafe Local Back-up "pop - up" screen that I spent hours on attempting to get rid of it.   I didn't need it because my local internet provider, Verizon, already provides a back-up program that I pay for.

So . . . after many frustrating attempts, I called the Dell Support phone number.   I spoke to somebody that I could not understand, who then transferred me to his supervisor.   I couldn't understand him either, but all I got out of the lengthy phone call was that I could pay $138.00 for a new Dell Service agreement because my laptop purchased in 2011 was no longer under warranty.   I not so politely told him that whether I wanted to purchase it or not should not have ANYTHING to do with my wanting to get rid of the pop-up message.   I hung up after telling him that they hadn't helped me whatsoever.

I even attempted to revert to Windows 7 I was so frustrated because the Pop-up window obscures everything you're working on (i.e. Excel, Word, Internet mail, etc.)   It pops up no matter what you select (remind me later, don't remind me).   If you even attempt to do as they recommend, I would always get a "forbidden access" screen!   Very, very frustrating.

So . . . Aziz, I thank you very much for your instructions above.

No Events found!