Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

October 15th, 2005 11:00

Disabled Battery

Hello all,

I've just received an Inspiron 9300 which I plan to use for 99% of time as a desktop.
For that reason, I may not use the battery for a long time as this Inspiron will always be plugged in.

My question is :
Is it possible to use this Inspiron even if the battery is taken out, or is it possible to disable the battery in a way to not let it be charged ?

Of course, if in few months I plan to use it a while as a laptop, I will charge the battery for the first time as it is recommended to do so.

I don't know if I'm clear enough...

Thank you for your answers,

Lim.

Message Edited by Limerick Kepler on 10-15-2005 12:24 PM

11 Posts

October 15th, 2005 16:00

The machine should work fine either way. However, you may want to leave in the battery in case you should ever lose AC power.

October 15th, 2005 17:00

Yeah it could be a reason to keep the battery in, but I think I'd rather keep it as "new" as possible the longest time possible.
So I wonder what to do to not "kill" this battery because it would be in place while on AC power for hours and hours, days and days, months and months...

October 15th, 2005 18:00

Hello Mauricio,

I've two kind of answers :

- remove battery charged at about 40% and let it in the fidge (about 0°C) and wait until needed

- these new batteries stop charging when full and are protected, so they can be let in place.

So I'm looking for a kind of an "official answer" here...

If you get it, just let me know ;)

Regards,

Lim.

Hi Lim,

I have the same issue as you, I use my Inspiron at home powered by AC Adapter, and I dont to waste mt battery life until I really need to do it as a mobile computing.

Did you find an answer to your question ?

I dont want to have my battery charge everytime I connect the AC Adapter, and I wont disattached the battery everytime.

I think it not recommended to charge the battery everytime.

regards,

mauricio

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The other consideration is that lithium ion batteries deteriorate from age whether they're used or not, just like car batteries.

October 15th, 2005 20:00

Yes but is the "age deterioration" accelerated by keeping the battery inside the laptop while using only AC for a long time (months or years) ?

If it does not accelerate this "age deterioration", it would be better to keep the battery inside the laptop as it gives power supply.
If it accelerates this "age derioration", it would be better to remove the battery as it will be cool to have a usable battery at a time when it would be unusable because of being to old.

October 15th, 2005 21:00

So to sum up, Mauricio and I should remove our batteries for the all time our laptops are plugged to AC.

Thank you for your answers ejn63 :)

Lim

Message Edited by Limerick Kepler on 10-16-2005 02:34 AM

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 15th, 2005 21:00

Since heat hastens aging, leaving the battery out will lessen that effect. How much is open to question - lithium ion batteries have a life of about 18 months-2 years before capacity decline claims them. Because newer systems draw more power and run hotter, they seem to expire sooner than they did with older systems.

1.6K Posts

October 16th, 2005 01:00

not necessarily make sure the driver for the battery is installed and the power management is set to laptop/portable

October 16th, 2005 08:00

So if this is done, in your mind, I can let the battery in even if the laptop is plugged in to AC for months and months ?

And the battery will not be deteriorated more quickly than if it was removed from laptop ?

1.6K Posts

October 16th, 2005 20:00

it does not matter whether you leave it in or not. Use this scenario. You are on the couch using your laptop only on AC no battery. Now i have a tendency for my legs to knock the power cord out. If this happens, you could loose some important work. Now all batteries loose their charge capacity sooner or later. Whether you use it now or later face it your battery will loose some energy capacity. I would recomend leaving it in.

1.6K Posts

October 16th, 2005 20:00

my old reliable IBM THINKPAD made in 1998 is pretty big and slow i must admit. But  that thing is reliable. The battery only lasts about 30-60 minutes.
No Events found!