Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2016 11:00

Drop in CPU speed

I have a Dell XPS L322X with an i7 cpu. The computer has been running very hot, so today I removed the heat sink (4 screws) and cleaned the vents, put on some thermal paste and closed the kit up. Now it is running more cool but very slowly. What did I do wrong?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 12:00

I suggest checking the bios and make sure that the processor is detected correctly.  Start the system tapping F12 and choose bios.  The general page should have all the information on the processor and take a look and see if ti looks correct.  If not, you may want to take a look at the processor itself and make sure that it has a good connection to the socket and to the heatsink.

If the processor looks good in the bios, then take a look at the advanced tab and check on speedstep, toggle it on and off and test both and see if there is difference, test with the AC adapter connected. 

You can also try setting the system to defaults, choose the exit tab in the BIOS and choose Load setup defaults and choose save and exit and see if that helps. 

If you are able to get into Windows go into Windows control panel and choose power options, power plans and choose advanced and then High Performance and see if that helps. 

TB

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 14:00

I don't think the CPU on this model is socketed -- it's a U processor so it's BGA and soldered.

When you replaced the thermal paste, did you check to make sure there's no air gap between the heatsink and the CPU?  If there's a gap, the CPU will quickly overheat and throttle down.

No Events found!