Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2007 01:00

E1505 Screen Flicker

I just received my new Inspiron E1505.  Once it starts, the screen will occasionally flicker once or twice.  This happens way after the I started the computer.

I am running Windows Vista.  I've already had a bunch of issues with driver and program compatibility.  I'm not too thrilled with this new operating system.

Does anyone know why my screen could be flickering.  Could it be because of Vista?  Is it a computer defect?  Thanks. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2007 02:00

Rosanator,

Which Vista, 32 or 64?

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2007 16:00

I have Windows Vista Home Premium...
This is all I know.  I'm having trouble with this oporating system at the moment.

124 Posts

February 22nd, 2007 21:00

in windows XP at start up after logging into your account this happens with some video drivers. This is the user specific settings being enabled that cause this.

ATI and NVIDA drivers both do this, ATI is more noticable in my experience. It is normal for this to happen in XP. i would guess it is the same thing in VISTA.

Message Edited by VMBieg on 02-22-2007 05:24 PM

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2007 04:00

I have same problem with 6400 (which seems to be same as E1505, just for small business). Talked to tech support, for some reason they thought this to be a hardware issue. First, they changed motherboard. Then videocard. Nothing changes. I am using 32-bit XP, SP2. It has ATI X1400. And, ATI drivers would not install, ATI says "it is OEM card, go to your computer manufacturer". Guess last time I buy Dell...

124 Posts

February 23rd, 2007 13:00

try this little tool!:

it will make the ATI drivers install on a dell it works wonderfully. not suported by dell.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2007 14:00

Just did (via manual uninstall thohg), it is better now, thanks for the advice! It still blanks each of the monitors twice when comoing out of the screensavver, but "random pixels on the screen" moment is gone. We'll see if it will reappear.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2007 01:00

Hey guys,
I got ATI RAdeon X1400 256 mb, too.
It's Windows Vista running right now. Everything is fine, the only question is about refresh rate: it is 60Mhz. Is it OK? Is there any way to increase it?
Thank you in advance

124 Posts

February 24th, 2007 03:00

LCD's have one refresh rate it is 60hz.

7 Posts

March 30th, 2007 20:00

My E1505 has had two kinds of "flickering" symptoms. One occurs at login. The screen goes black a few times before seeming to settle down.

More recently I installed Office 2007. When I use the drawing features, the screen begins to flicker quite frequently, say once every second or two.

This is NOT the typical 60hz refresh rate flicker. This is far more pronounced.

I have the Intel 945GM graphics card. Unfortunately, it only gives acceptable results when set at maximum resolution and 32 bit depth. Anything less, and the graphics and fonts look like they are produced by a 1988 era computer... very fuzzy.

I've tried the following (aside from changing screen resolutions, hardware acceleration, color depth and any other tweak I can find):

upgrading bios
upgrading graphics driver
downgrading graphics driver
assigning more RAM to the card

Nothing works. My "old" dell inspirion 700 had a much better screen!

Any suggestions other than giving up and buying a different computer?
No Events found!