Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2014 09:00

E7440 - sleep Issues and display issues

There are three major issues I have with my laptop, and I was wondering if anyone else had them too.. I have not contacted dell support yet, but I will in the following weeks if I don't somehow figure out what's is going on myself. 

I've had my laptop for a little bit under 2 months, so these are the things I have noticed. 

Issue number 1: When you plug in the power cord into the computer, the screen freezes on what it is currently on. I noticed this issue because occasionally when I plug in my power cord, and try to use the mousepad to select something, the mouse pointer is gone! I have to unplug-replug the power cable to get the mouse pointer to show again. I have no idea what the cause of this issue is. It seems to have to do with the screen

Issue number 2: when I carry my E7440 around in my bad, or have it shut for long periods of time >3 hours (I just simply close the lid), the computer will SHUT DOWN. The thing will shut down completly, even though I simply closed the lid! At first I thought it was just going into hibernate, so I disabled hibernate in my power settings. But nope, even when the computer is asleep, it will occasionally shut it self down for no reason at all.

Just now, I closed the lid on my laptop, and put in in my bag, then walked to my office about 10 minutes away. When I sat down at my desk and opened my laptop, to my surprise, it had shut down by itself! All of my open windows, browsers, and applications were closed, and upon opening chrome and microsoft word, I was greeted by "your browser did not shut down correctly" and "microsoft word has recovered files". This points to the conclusion that it was not hibernates fault, but instead a issue with the laptop itself shutting down when it is put in sleep. This issue needs to be rectified immediately if it is a widespread issue.  

Issue number three: When the computer comes back from hibernate or sleep, the computer is very very sluggish, even when plugged in. It is sluggish forever, OR until the power plan is set from whatever it is to "high performance". upon switching to the previous powerplan from high performance, the swiftness of the system is restored. This indicates to me that the system is throttling itself after it resumes from hibernation, for god knows why. This needs to be fixed; many people (myself included) just thought that the system itself was slow and underpowered, not realizing that it was just throttling itself when it emerged from sleep or hibernate.

If anyone has any of these same problems, or knows a way to fix them, don't hesitate to post. 

4 Posts

January 21st, 2015 23:00

Update by original poster! This does not work!

PARTIAL FIX

1. Press F2 when booting and go to setup.

2. Go to Power options and disable the "block sleep" feature .

3. Save and reboot.

4. The system seems to now go into hibernate when closing the lid.

5. In fact in Windows, you can't see the sleep option anymore.

This takes longer to wake up the laptop but at least all work is intact.

Let me know if it helps you.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2014 06:00

Bobby,

I don't have the same model as you but I have the same problem with the laptop shutting down when I put it to sleep.  I have an Inspiron 17R running Windows 8.1 and when I put the laptop to sleep, sometimes, not all the time, it will shut down instead.  Sometimes it is immediate and sometimes it is after several hours.  I have contact Dell support about this issue (my computer is less than 1 month old) and they have been trying to resolve it, even replacing the motherboard, heat sinks and fan.  Still no resolution.  I would contact Dell support because this is a real issue.

Andrea

1 Message

June 5th, 2014 02:00

Same here: E7440 shutting down itself, even when i close lid or press sleep.

There are some more issues related to docking station, but this one mentioned above is really annoying. 

9 Posts

July 20th, 2014 11:00

I'm also running Win 8.1 and the E7440 and have the same exact issue when put into sleep mode and I go to wake it up 90% of the time it has crashed and shutdown.

I have updated all the drivers and BIOS as of 07/18/2014 and still have same issue.  I'm also having the display flickering issue when using the eport dock and dual monitors - this was fixed for a while but started happening again after I installed the newer bios and drivers. I tried going back to the 'fix' drivers and firmware but it no longer resolves the issue. 

I checked the Windows Event Logs and I get this error which I imagine you have also(relating to the sleep issue).

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/20/2014 8:36:04 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: WWT06-NB.wwt.local
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
WWT06-NB.wwt.local

0xffffffffc0000005
0xfffff8007b80d4b6
0xffffd000cc720ee8
0xffffd000cc7206f0

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 11:00

Just chiming in that I have the same first two problems, with a Latitude E7440 running Windows 7

(1) computer shuts down when it is supposed to be asleep. doesn't happen every time, but frequently. and it happens both when the computer is closed but also even when it stays open.

(2) screen freezes briefly -- flickers, goes black, then comes back on -- a few seconds after switching from power cord to battery or battery to power cord.

I'm sad to see no solutions offered here and no luck even from those who have contacted Dell about it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 17th, 2014 20:00

Exact same issue here.

About time that someone at Dell addresses it.

September 24th, 2014 07:00

I've contacted Dell Support Vietnam. They asked me to re-install Windows 8, update and re-install bios. Ask daily working laptop I couldn't re-install it. And I have latest Bios on E7440. This is a hardware error because It also happen on Ubuntu 14.04. When freeze, the mouse still moving but the hard disk light is on. 
I also have another problem that a key usually repeat until I press another key. That is very annoying. I can't return and replace this laptop. Do you have any solution for these?
Dell support is sometime useless although with ProSupport :(

November 10th, 2014 12:00

Inspiron 15-7537 here. Same issue. I put down the lid. When I open it again, Chrome has been closed. Word and Excel documents are all closed if there has been a very recent save. Otherwise I reopen to a option to save recent work (it is already saved, just open for more than 10 minutes without saving, even when no changes have been made).

I also find it very sluggish after sleep when plugged in. Not when it is not plugged in, which is very odd.

Add to that the very poor performance of the wireless card (Intel N7260 b/g - should be b/g/n according to Dell's spec but they didn't stick to that plan!) and I'm reluctantly returning this after a week.

Be cautious with Dell models - very cautious.

1 Message

November 11th, 2014 13:00

Are you aware of any encryption software on the disk? I have repaired a few e7440's with the same symptoms and have found about 80% percent were due to encryption failure, the other 20% were hardware (motherboard failures). 

4 Posts

January 17th, 2015 19:00

I have the same shut down issue on my dell E7440.

All drivers and bios has been updated. The laptop shutdown instead of going to sleep.

So far, the time for it to shutdown seems a bit random. Sometimes I close and open the lid after a short while and its fine. Other times its not.

The problem happens whether its on battery or plugged in.

Still looking for fix.

Regards

Basheer

South Africa

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 16:00

Same problem with sleep/shutdown. I have a Latitude E7440 with Windows 8,1. I took a look to the Event Viewer and always that the problem occurs a Critical Kernel-Power messages is logged: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly".I tried to find some solution clicking on "Event Log Online Help" but I got nothing useful.

I saw that this post has almost a year. Do you have some solution from Dell?

Regards,
Alextzin!!

4 Posts

February 13th, 2015 21:00

No solution as yet.

Dell support went thru basics with me.

1. Hardware diagnostics.

2. Change graphic driver.

nothing helped.

They are now sending me a recovery CD and suggest I re-install Windows. Not looking forward to it.

If you google this problem and Win 8.1 sleep problems, some ppl have fixed it by changing graphics drivers.

Let me know if you come right...

1 Message

March 11th, 2015 03:00

We bought 20 of Dell E7440 Ultrabooks, and (till now) 2 of it has the hibernation error. One comes up with the login screen, but after 2-3seconds it completly freezing. The other comes up only with black screen, without error message.

Updated bios, changed display driver, called service for motherboard replacing, but nothing helped.

Checked with other HDD, fresh Windows 7 install, it comes back from hibernation with black screen and 0xc0000411 error message.

Checked with a fresh install of Linux Mint 17.1, when it comes back from hibernate, the logo and the "Resuming from hibernation" comes up for seconds, and freezes.

Called service again... waiting for soultion

1 Message

April 16th, 2015 19:00

Dell where are you????????????

So many of us have this same problem.  How is it we can spend $1500 or more on your product and you don't help us.   You let us flail? 

My new Latitude e7440 also has this problem of shutting down...which stinks when i have multiple documents open and I have to go through that hassle.

Please help. Or replace our machines.

July 26th, 2015 02:00

I've had my E7440 18months, I had to go through Dell support for a solution to the sleep/hibernation problem.

The screen still flashes whenever the power cable is inserted/removed and I'm pretty sick of it! Already looking forward to a new laptop next year without this stupid issue.

No Events found!