Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 10th, 2009 16:00

Error message: IDE Device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive...

I wrote my vacation photos to a Maxel DVD+RW disk and when I try to access them the drive just clicks but nothing happens.  I ran an express diagnostic without any disks in my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1050) and got the error message: error code 0F00: 136C IDE device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive.  Test requires media with digital data (Resource CD, Installation CD).  Should I have put a disk in the drive?  Should I have put my pictures on a CD instead of a DVD? 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2009 17:00

In order to test the drive, you must have a blank, writeable scratch disc in it.

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2009 19:00

what program did you use to burn the DVD? If you did not close the disk properly or set the disk to be read by any type of drive then it will appear to be a blank disk to the drive.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2009 04:00

I used the Media Center. I finally realized that I had a three-fold problem.  First one was that the first disk was corrupted for some reason.  (I discovered this through the elimination process)  The second thing was that I chose the wrong method of writing the pictures.  Finally I discovered that I had, during an earlier struggle with trying to get the first disk to play that I had de-selected the option "Enable DLA on your drives" under the DVD-RW drive properties.  Once I re-checked this option, the second disk that I wrote using the correct write option opened just fine.  It could be possible that I just needed to format the first disk but I had tried to use it for some purpose in the past so I just threw it away because everytime I inserted it the message "no disk in the drive" came up and  by this time, I didn't want to know because I was Sikntired of fooling with it.  Thanks for your response.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for telling me because otherwise everything else is working just fine so that explains my error message.

14.4K Posts

July 11th, 2009 06:00

You are welcome.Glad you got it figured out.

No Events found!