Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2009 16:00

FN Key...disable/enable??

I just purchased and received a new Inspiron laptop.  I've found several posts on here about the FN key, but none seem to be addressing the simplest of issues, which is how do you make the F1-12 keys default to the F1-12 key as opposed to the "hotkey" function that is assigned to it.  An industry-specific software that I use utilized the F1-12 keys in almost every function, and I can't seriously have to keep hitting Fn+F4 every time. 

1 Message

April 14th, 2009 15:00

This drove me crazy for about 2 hours today.  I swear I saw something in the control panel to switch between function keys and multimedia keys but alas I couldn't find it.  Here's what you have to do:  As the system in booting hit F2 to go to Setup.  From there click 'System Configuration' then 'Function Key Behavior'.  Switch to 'Fuction Key First' then hit the 'Apply' box, then 'Exit'.  Now the function keys will work normaly and you can hold 'Fn' to use the multimedia fuctions. 

Seriously, I searched through offline help for an hour and a half, then these forums for half an hour and I'm amazed at how hard it is to find out how to do something this simple.  I'm just glad I've been messing around with computers since the days of DOS so I thought to look in the BIOS.

Updated Video

3 Posts

June 24th, 2011 16:00

On Windows 7, just open Windows Mobility Center, and toggle Function Key Row to "Function Key" instead of "Multimedia key". It's as easy as that...

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 09:00

After hour or so of trying to figure out and reading these solutions here and trying without success.  I continued to try various keys  and combination of keys on my laptop......I depressed F8 key and it enabled my cursor!  

TRY pressing F8 key.

1 Message

July 6th, 2017 14:00

For users on Windows 10 based systems, there may be different Windows Mobility Center" options. For Precision 5520 users try pressing the "Fn" (Function) key with the Escape key, which is the function Lock feature.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2009 22:00

Wow!  Thank you so much!  I really thought I was never going to figure it out.  I had just resigned myself to remapping my keyboard. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I really, really appreciate your time and efforts!:emotion-2:

1 Message

January 4th, 2011 15:00

I see this conversation happened almost two years ago, but finding this discussion on google just saved me.  Thank you @8SYMBOLS!

1 Message

March 19th, 2012 12:00

Thanks so much for the EASY fix! I have used the ALT+F4, CTRL+F4, etc, for so long then yesterday I flashed the BIOS since the Dell diagnostic said it was critical update for my Inspiron. Voila - after the FLASH - the keys did not work. I spent hours trying to fix it and am very thankful for the fix. I was looking under the subject of General Keyboard Shortcuts. Thanks again!

10 Posts

August 22nd, 2014 06:00

Exactamente eso. Windows mobility Center and "toggle" the function keys. 

Thank all! :)

March 5th, 2015 20:00

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!Eleventy!one!

3 Posts

April 1st, 2015 10:00

How do I get to the Mobility Center?  Once there, what do mean by "toggle" the function keys?

To get to the Mobility Center, just go to the Control Panel. The Control Panel is usually accessible through the start menu. As for toggling the keys, that should become obvious once you get there.

3 Posts

How do I find the Windows Mobility Center?

1 Message

June 2nd, 2015 18:00

THANK YOU ABOUT THAT INFORMATION!!!!

1 Message

August 28th, 2015 11:00

My windows mobility Center contains few information, how can I proceed?

5 Posts

November 4th, 2015 21:00

Which OS you are using ??

No Events found!